+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does perm resident need PM card on person when re-entering Canada?

marabsky

Mar 4, 2009
Durban, South Africa
My husband will be "landing" in April before his visa expires, but we are only moving as a family to Canada in June, so he is only going round trip for a week (we live in South Africa).

I assume he will leave Canada before his immigration card arrives at my family's address (where he will be staying when he is there for the week). Does he need to have it with him when he comes back in June e.g. must I get my family to send it out to us in South Africa? Or can they just hang onto since he has all his relevant stamps & visa etc in his passport??

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
Yes, he will need to have it with him when he comes back in June. So have your family send it out to you in South Africa.

The visa in his passport is only a single entry one for landing purposes. After which PR card is needed. Without PR card, he'll have to apply for travel documents from the embassy / CIC office in your location. Having PR card mailed safely is a much better option....

marabsky

Mar 4, 2009
Durban, South Africa
Shew! Thanks for that info, so we know what to do - I am also (very) happy we ended up with an April flight for my hubby, we were almost going to send him in early May, which might not have left enough time for the card to get to my family, and then get to us here in SA before we left!

Crisis averted!

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
I thought that the 1st PR card was supposed to be mailed to the new immigrant, within 2 weeks from the time of Landing to the address of the applicant's choosing.

All you need to do, is to provide that information when entering Canada. then it's 2 weeks aproximatelly to receive it in the mail,

Any one can dwell on that delay a bit? .....

1st PR card after entering Canada => 2 weeks
Failing to provide address at 1st entry within 2 weeks=> 4-8 weeks (like a normal application)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#pr_card it is taking 30 days to get the PR card in the mail counting from the time you give them an address. Fail to give them address for 1 week, then it will take 1 week + 30 days, 2 weeks, then 2 weeks + 30 days etc.

The replacement time currently for an expired PR card is 49 days but last year when I was doing it, it was more like 100 days.

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
I just double checked:

As of February 27, 2009:

Newly arriving permanent residents: (once Canadian mailing address is provided) 30 days
Initial, replacement or renewal of PR card for existing permanent residents 49 days