+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Parent sponsorship PR Application make it difficult for them to get Visitors Visa/ Supervisa?

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I qualified for the lottery to sponsor my parents for permanent residents application and I am in the process of gathering all documents. However, I am wondering whether applying for PR may jeopardize their chances of getting a visitors visa or a supervisa to Canada.

I am concerned because I came to understand that for spouse sponsorship, it is extremely rare to get a visitors visa while the PR application is being processed.

Could anyone please comment on whether it is harder for parents to get a visa if their PR sponsorship application has been submitted?

I understand the processing time right now is 5-6 years or more, and if PR application is a hindrance to issuance of visas, I would rather have my parents visit me temporarily. At the moment they have visitors visas but they are expiring soon.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I qualified for the lottery to sponsor my parents for permanent residents application and I am in the process of gathering all documents. However, I am wondering whether applying for PR may jeopardize their chances of getting a visitors visa or a supervisa to Canada.

I am concerned because I came to understand that for spouse sponsorship, it is extremely rare to get a visitors visa while the PR application is being processed.

Could anyone please comment on whether it is harder for parents to get a visa if their PR sponsorship application has been submitted?

I understand the processing time right now is 5-6 years or more, and if PR application is a hindrance to issuance of visas, I would rather have my parents visit me temporarily. At the moment they have visitors visas but they are expiring soon.
Spousal is a different situation. Spouses are considered a higher risk to overstay because it is assumed that they will stay with their spouse forever regardless.

There is not such a risk to overstay for parents.

Reactions: Ulysses

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot. So there are no risks associated with visas in this case?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks a lot. So there are no risks associated with visas in this case?
There is always risk but it is not a risk that can be compared to a spousal app. As your parents already hold a TRV and (I'm assuming) complied with all conditions previously, they likely won't have an issue being approved for another one.

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks again! Yes, they have visited Canada multiple times on their TRVs and have complied with all the regulations.

I agree that there's always a risk of rejection for any visa application. What I am inferring from your comments is that that risk is not significantly maginified after the PR Application is submitted.

On a related note, could you please comment on the present procrssing time of the PR application for parents? The CIC website indicates a > 4 year timeframe, but looking at postings on this forum I get the impression that it's a bit shorter now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks again! Yes, they have visited Canada multiple times on their TRVs and have complied with all the regulations.

I agree that there's always a risk of rejection for any visa application. What I am inferring from your comments is that that risk is not significantly maginified after the PR Application is submitted.

On a related note, could you please comment on the present procrssing time of the PR application for parents? The CIC website indicates a > 4 year timeframe, but looking at postings on this forum I get the impression that it's a bit shorter now.
No, not significantly magnified by the sponsorship app.

No idea. Check the forum spreadsheets.