+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Ontario accept driver's license record from my previous state?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I guess your wife got to test for the full G class license right off the bat then?
Rules are clear. No driving test with license exchange. Rule says its just 2 years of experience/validity from US(doesnt prevent if its from one state or multiple states during that 2 years). Full G was issued.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Rules are clear. No driving test with license exchange. Rule says its just 2 years of experience/validity from US(doesnt prevent if its from one state or multiple states during that 2 years). Full G was issued.
Ah yes. That's the answer I was looking for.

Thank you very much.

But why does this page say I need to take a road test?
https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html
(Search for "24 months or more")
I understand that the previous link you posted says I don't need to take a test.
Seems like conflicting information.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ah yes. That's the answer I was looking for.

Thank you very much.

But why does this page say I need to take a road test?
https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html
(Search for "24 months or more")
I understand that the previous link you posted says I don't need to take a test.
Seems like conflicting information.
You are reading wrong section and getting confused and confusing me.
"If you are relocating from a country that does not have a driver’s licence exchange agreement with Ontario "

Read here https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html
If you are from one of these eligible jurisdictions, you can apply for a licence exchange for an Ontario Class G licence. The type of licence you receive varies depending on how much driving experience you have. If you do not have at least two years of Class G equivalent driving experience, you may receive a Class G2 licence instead of a full Class G licence

Class G Equivalent Driving Experience: More Than 2 Years in the Last 3 Years
  • Exchange your licence for a full Ontario Class G licence.
  • No road test required.
  • Present a valid driver’s licence, or one that has been expired for less than one year.
  • If indicated in the list above, provide a driver’s history or abstract to confirm the status of your licence and length of driving experience.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
You are reading wrong section and confusing "If you are relocating from a country that does not have a driver’s licence exchange agreement with Ontario "

Read here https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html
If you are from one of these eligible jurisdictions, you can apply for a licence exchange for an Ontario Class G licence. The type of licence you receive varies depending on how much driving experience you have. If you do not have at least two years of Class G equivalent driving experience, you may receive a Class G2 licence instead of a full Class G licence

Class G Equivalent Driving Experience: More Than 2 Years in the Last 3 Years
  • Exchange your licence for a full Ontario Class G licence.
  • No road test required.
  • Present a valid driver’s licence, or one that has been expired for less than one year.
  • If indicated in the list above, provide a driver’s history or abstract to confirm the status of your licence and length of driving experience.
Darn. I guess it's hard to read Canadian English after getting used to American English for so long.
Thanks for the info.
It's always appreciated :)

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Darn. I guess it's hard to read Canadian English after getting used to American English for so long.
Thanks for the info.
It's always appreciated :)
License exchange was not hard. Here are the hard part:
1. Getting official records from state's head office(, not just a print out from local license office). Missing this will be problem to get the record applying by mail again and wait for weeks hence get the record early and get it from right place. Usually in GA too, check for the mail in option of getting records that would come with the official cover letter which is what being needed in windsor.
2. Getting the car import planned and getting things done to import.
3. Getting "no claim" letter from your past auto insurance companies so that you can get some premium reduced at Canadian car insurance(or else it would be equivalent of doubt the amount you pay currently).

Worry/Plan about these, rather than the license.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
License exchange was not hard. Here are the hard part:
1. Getting official records from state's head office(, not just a print out from local license office). Missing this will be problem to get the record applying by mail again and wait for weeks hence get the record early and get it from right place. Usually in GA too, check for the mail in option of getting records that would come with the official cover letter which is what being needed in windsor.
2. Getting the car import planned and getting things done to import.
3. Getting "no claim" letter from your past auto insurance companies so that you can get some premium reduced at Canadian car insurance(or else it would be equivalent of doubt the amount you pay currently).

Worry/Plan about these, rather than the license.
I see...those seem like annoying obstacles to jump over.
I got a "Certified MVR" that I ordered online on GA Dept of Driver Services (DDS) website.
DDS mailed me a letter with all my license information and the official letterhead and the signature of the person working there.
I'm not sure if this will do though...
I don't know how to reach DriveTest in Windsor. All the phone numbers listed on Google for different DriveTest centers are the same, and the number only repeats the same COVID-related automated message.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I see...those seem like annoying obstacles to jump over.
I got a "Certified MVR" that I ordered online on GA Dept of Driver Services (DDS) website.
DDS mailed me a letter with all my license information and the official letterhead and the signature of the person working there.
I'm not sure if this will do though...
I don't know how to reach DriveTest in Windsor. All the phone numbers listed on Google for different DriveTest centers are the same, and the number only repeats the same COVID-related automated message.
Possibly they are closed still. https://drivetest.ca/find-a-drive-test-centre/service_disruptions.html

ON too asking us not to bother about expired license/sticker and asking us to use the expired license/sticker. https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-drivers-licence

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Gotcha.
Hm...I wonder if there's a way to contact someone to get a positive confirmation that the GA's certified MVR is the correct document to bring
I doubt the call center would know. If your record came with some cover letter then you should be good. Mostly the certified one should be acceptable as you cant get anymore higher than that.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
I doubt the call center would know. If your record came with some cover letter then you should be good. Mostly the certified one should be acceptable as you cant get anymore higher than that.
Ok. I'm not exactly sure what the cover letter is supposed to contain, but the document does say that it's a certified copy that reflects the official records, along with an employee signature, so I guess it should be good enough.

Thank you

Reactions: harirajmohan