+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does one need to meet residency obligation in order to sponsor child?

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
Where does it state in the rule book that one needs to meet residency obligation when sponsoring the child?

if the parents became PR in 2016, and the child was born outside of Canada in 2017, and if the parents cant move until 2020, decide to move in 2020, and sponsor the child straight away while the PR card is still valid and the parents are working in Canada, what will happen in that case?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
smk_ujs said:
Where does it state in the rule book that one needs to meet residency obligation when sponsoring the child?

if the parents became PR in 2016, and the child was born outside of Canada in 2017, and if the parents cant move until 2020, decide to move in 2020, and sponsor the child straight away while the PR card is still valid and the parents are working in Canada, what will happen in that case?
If you don't meet the RO, then when submitting an app to sponsor the child CIC will easily discover you don't meet the RO, and your PR status will be revoked.

So then nobody will have PR status.

Also there's a good chance when parents decide to move back to Canada in 2020 they will be reported upon entry for not meeting RO, which will also start process to revoke PR status. Having a valid PR card has nothing to do with meeting the RO.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
hmm Thanks Rob_TO

has anybody been in this situation though? Do we have practical cases where people were in this situation and what the outcome turned out to be

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
smk_ujs said:
hmm Thanks Rob_TO

has anybody been in this situation though? Do we have practical cases where people were in this situation and what the outcome turned out to be
Yes - we've certainly seen cases like this on the forum. People who applied to sponsor family members (spouses or children) before they met the residency obligation had their own status revoked. People who waited until they met the residency obligation before sponsoring were fine. Don't apply to sponsor your child until you fully meet RO.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
Then in that case, what hardships can the child face? If parents dont meet residency obligation, the child can possibly enter using ETA on Newzealand passport, right? That will be valid for 5 years as stated on their website but the child will be granted 6 month stay, right?

What benefits can child miss out on if child is not pr/citizen of Canada? I am sure child will not have provincial health coverage even if parents have, correct? Is that the only thing that will be an issue? or are there other things that parent will have to face if child not pr/citizen?

also, what have people done if child was allowed only 6 month stay? how do they extend the child's stay?

an5ar1

Jul 17, 2014
Fellow members!

My situation:
I, My wife and our daughter became Permanent residents of Canada in May 2015.
Soon after, I got a job in Abu Dhabi and had to start work here. In Aug 2015, my son was born in Abu Dhabi.
I have actively been searching for jobs in Canada since I became PR but due to current oil and gas market, I am unable to find a suitable job.
My daughter is due to start school in Sep 2017 and I would like for my wife to settle back in Canada while i keep searching for a job in Canada. I shall return to canada with them for a while to make settlement arrangements (i.e. buy a house, furnish the house and make necessary arrangements for them to easily remain in Canada without being a burden on social benefits).
Current status:
I inquired the Canadian embassy in Abu Dhabi explaining my situation and my intent to apply for my son's PR or visitor visa. They replied back with the following:
Quote "
[Based on the information you have provided, you are a Permanent Resident (PR) who is currently residing outside of Canada and you have a child who was born outside of Canada after you obtained your PR status.

Please note that PR who does not live in Canada is not eligible to sponsor close family members for permanent residence. In order to sponsor a close family member, you, the sponsor, must reside in Canada throughout the sponsorship and application process.

If your child is only going to Canada for tourism or to visit family for a short period, you should submit a complete Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) application on behalf of your child. For information on how to apply for a TRV, please visit our website.

If your family intends to return to Canada with your non-PR child to live permanently, you still must submit a TRV application for the child. If the Visa Officer is satisfied that: 1) you (yourself, your PR spouse and any other PR children) meet the residency requirements, and 2) your entire family is relocating to Canada to live permanently, your child may be granted a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) valid for a single journey to facilitate his or her entry to Canada. This process would enable you to initiate a sponsorship application for your child once you have arrive in Canada.

Please note that a TRP is not an immigrant visa and it does not give your child PR status upon arrival in Canada. Further details on how to obtain a TRP will be provided if the Visa Officer determines your child is eligible. Your child must undergo a medical examination before a TRP is considered. This will add approximately 4 weeks to the processing time of the application. You will also be required to pay additional fees for the TRP and to submit additional documents to demonstrate your family’s relocation to Canada. As an example, both PR parents will be asked to provide a copy of their resignation letters with a proof that the resignation has been accepted by their employers and proof of cancellation of the entire family’s residence visas. Do NOT undertake these procedures until we have requested you to do so.

The application will be in process for a minimum of 4 weeks. Please plan accordingly. "
] unquote.

My query:

1. In my situation, what are the chances I will be able to attain a TRP for my son from Abu Dhabi and keep my job until i find a suitable job in Canada?
2. What proofs can I provide along with my application for TRP that I genuinely wish to return to Canada? (Is buying a house in Canada prior to initiating TRP application a strong justification?)
3. What other options do I have?

I will very much appreciate the guidance of all members in this regard.
Happy holidays and a Happy new year in advance.

Thank you.
An5ar1

Mar 25, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
15-10-2015