+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my US pregnant wife need Permanent Residence Travel Docs to come back?

ja7toronto

Jul 7, 2015
Hi guys,

My wife who is American received her COPR and landed on April 7, 2016. However, she went back to Chicago 3 days later to go bac to work. The reason she came landed and did not stay was because we found that she is pregnant and wanted to get a head start on our health card and social insurance. Anyways, I have not received her PR card yet and I plan to fly to Chicago and drive back to Canada with her along with some of her belongings(furniture, etc) on May 23, 2016.

Now I have been reading different posts regarding entering back to Canada without a PR card, some people say we need PRTD and some say a US passport is fine can someone clarify this for me?

Lastly, I have also slowly been moving her stuff to Canada as I travel to Chicago every two weeks. When we drive back we plan to rent a U-Haul trailer to move a bunch of her belongings(furniture etc). We would only need to list the items on the export sheet, right? As well, does anyone know the policies of crossing the border with any plantation? She wants to bring her orchids over...lol

Thank You!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She does not need a PR to re-enter Canada at a land border. The COPR and passport will work (but the CBSA officer may give her a bit of a lecture). ;)

Hopefully she filled out the B4 Goods to Follow paperwork when she landed, to avoid having to pay duties and taxes on her goods when bringing them into Canada.

Sorry, but I can't answer the orchids question.

markarbet

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
She doesn't need PR to cross the border with no problems CORP and her passport is enough. However, the orchids are not allowed.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
markarbet said:
the orchids are not allowed.
Where did you get that?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need a permit for the orchids in any case, see http://www.ec.gc.ca/CITES/default.asp?lang=En&n=C5F64D6F-1