+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my child of 5 years who is going to accompany me need a visitor visa?

Jyoti_B

Oct 19, 2021

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I have applied for a Canadian Visitor Visa for myself to visit my family. My son aged 5 years is going to accompany me but his father is not coming along. So do I need to apply for a visitor visa for my son as well? I am confused because this page says he needs just passport, birth certificate and authorization letter from his father. (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/minor-children-travelling-canada.html). Please advise. Thanks
1. Assuming he is from a NON visa exempt country, he needs a visitor visa (TRV)

Reactions: Jyoti_B

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have applied for a Canadian Visitor Visa for myself to visit my family. My son aged 5 years is going to accompany me but his father is not coming along. So do I need to apply for a visitor visa for my son as well? I am confused because this page says he needs just passport, birth certificate and authorization letter from his father. (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/minor-children-travelling-canada.html). Please advise. Thanks
Yes. The link you provided is minors travelling when they have their approved TRV or ETA.

Reactions: Jyoti_B

Gka16

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
No. There are testing, quarantine rules that must be followed. All on the Travel to Canada website.
I mean like they would follow all testing requirements and quarantine if needed. But there is no need for ircc authorisation letter to travel?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I mean like they would follow all testing requirements and quarantine if needed. But there is no need for ircc authorisation letter to travel?
Already said no authorization letter required. Read the Travel to Canada website to get your most up to date information.