+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does MSP [BC health insurance] allow for retroactive reimbursement?

decent1984

Star Member
Dec 7, 2015
Hi There,

I have landed as a PR in B.C and my MSP will kick in on 1st of October, Until then if I visit a doctor in a walk-in clinic or if I get a blood test etc, it is not covered by MSP yet but when it begins in October 1st, Can I submit the bills for a reimbursement?

Thanks.

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
Hi There,

I have landed as a PR in B.C and my MSP will kick in on 1st of October, Until then if I visit a doctor in a walk-in clinic or if I get a blood test etc, it is not covered by MSP yet but when it begins in October 1st, Can I submit the bills for a reimbursement?

Thanks.
Hey!, looks like you and I landed at the same time in JULY! my wife is also pregnant, right now we are paying out of pocket however, we are working on a reimbursement plan as we met other couples with similar situations and we have been getting some guidance that way.

Let me ask you, have you received your card yet? We went to ICBC back in July and received a temporary card/paper. We havent heard from MSP yet. How about you?

Also congrats!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Rules are pretty clear that the province will not reimburse your costs. All this information was available when you were considering coming to Canada. If you trying to delay billing or something crazy like that both you and the doctor could be charged with health care fraud. They audit doctors years after your appointments.

Reactions: YVR123