+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does minors need to be on canada at the time of issue the passport ?

osamaamany

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
I checked my E-case and found Decision made .. I expect this is a good news and oath invitation letter is on the way ...I applied with my wife and 8 years son ..

My question in case if I am on short leave to home country for two month and got the invitation within this period can I fly back to canada with my wife only to attend the ceremony and apply for the passport accordingly or my son must be with me ?

I know that it is not must for minors under 14 years to attend the oath ceremony but at the time of applying for the passport is there any conditions or clause in the law says the the minors should be in Canada at the time of issuing the passport ? I am thinking of applying on behalf of him but want to double check

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My interpretation of the passport application forms is that the 'In Canada' forms require you as the applicant be it an adult or minor to be physically present in Canada on at least the date its submitted. One could argue as to how enforceable this is for minors. You may be best to apply for your son's Canadian passport at the relevant Canadian diplomatic post overseas. The Canadian Passport Order regulating Passport issuance (also now under CIC) has some wide sweeping powers and you don't want to get caught up in having misrepresented your situation as you could be denied passport facilities. Just my 2 cents!