+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does LLB/LLM counts as a professional degree?

alanx0x

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
I have an LLB (4 years), an LLM (2 years) and an MBA (2 years) all of them from universities in the Dominican Republic.

My skill is actually supply chain (contracts and procurement) and I've been working for 5 years for a multinational canadian company in DR.

My question is: would I get points from my LLB and LLM in my EE application? I mean, do they count as a "professional degrees"?

I'm kinda confused, since law is a profesion that requires license in Canada. I'm not interested in practicing law in Canada, but I need to know if such degrees will give me the points in my EE application.

Your help will be deeply appreciated.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, if your ECA says that you have a "Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession", you'll get points for it.

Even if it doesn't say that, you already have an MBA. Get your LL.M and your MBA validated, and then you can get points for "two or more degrees".

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
LLM is a Master's degree and so is an MBA, even if the LLB/LLM are not considered as professional degrees, they would be evaluated as Masters and you would get points for a Master's.

Reactions: JAEN

JAEN

Aug 10, 2019
So, with a LLB (prof) degree. Can one claim 50 points at the skills transferibility, with a CLB 9? Does the LLB count as 2 or more degrees?

JAEN

Aug 10, 2019
LLM is a Master's degree and so is an MBA, even if the LLB/LLM are not considered as professional degrees, they would be evaluated as Masters and you would get points for a Master's.
So, with a LLB (prof) degree. Can one claim 50 points at the skills transferibility, with a CLB 9? Does the LLB count as 2 or more degrees?

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019

es.
Thanks so much. Last question, what is meant with continuous work experience? If i had 3 years with one employer, then a 4 month break before my current job for the past 2 years. Can i only claim 2 years continuous work or 5 years?
You can claim for 5 years. You will maximum points for work experience of more than 3 or more years under foreign work experience.

JAEN

Aug 10, 2019
You can claim for 5 years. You will maximum points for work experience of more than 3 or more years under foreign work experience.
We have done the CRS calc on the Canadian website. Got 471. Busy doing our EE profile. When will we see the exact score we will enter into the pool with?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks a lot. Why do they then use the continuous?
Because you need continuous work experience to qualify under the FSW.

So you need 1 year of continuous experience in NOC 0,A,B to qualify, but once you have qualified, for CRS points the work doesn't need to be continuous.

JAEN

Aug 10, 2019
When you submit your profile.
Thanks for advice. Another question, can we claim work experience for the time as articling lawyer, or only after one is admitted to the higher court, or after one passes the admission exams?