+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does it effect my PR status after getting divorced

Shaikhcanada

Mar 11, 2020
Would anyone please let me know that is getting a divorced will effect my PR status?

me and my wife landed in canada jan 2020 on PR, as she was the primary applicant and im her spouse in our express entry profile.
We got our PR card and health card etc. but now both of us are not happy with eachother due to many reasons.
Would it effect my PR status if i will file a case for divorced in canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Would anyone please let me know that is getting a divorced will effect my PR status?

me and my wife landed in canada jan 2020 on PR, as she was the primary applicant and im her spouse in our express entry profile.
We got our PR card and health card etc. but now both of us are not happy with eachother due to many reasons.
Would it effect my PR status if i will file a case for divorced in canada?

1. No.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Do i need to support her financially after divorced. We dont have kids.
Not because of your or her immigration status. But your question is family law related. It's called spousal support. And it depends on the divorce agreement or court order. And how long you've been married.
According to Justice of Canada site:
https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/divorce/app.html
You or your spouse lived in the Canadian province or territory where you apply for your divorce for a full year.

This is an example of Spousal support in BC.
https://familylaw.lss.bc.ca/finances-support/child-spousal-support/spousal-support

Last edited:

Shaikhcanada

Mar 11, 2020
Not because of your or her immigration status. But your question is family law related. It's called spousal support. And it depends on the divorce agreement or court order. And how long you've been married.
According to Justice of Canada site:
https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/divorce/app.html
You or your spouse lived in the Canadian province or territory where you apply for your divorce for a full year.

This is an example of Spousal support in BC.
https://familylaw.lss.bc.ca/finances-support/child-spousal-support/spousal-support

we got married in 2018 and both of us was working before coming to canada. No one depends on anyone income.
Now we are in canada and she is working. And im still looking for a job.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
we got married in 2018 and both of us was working before coming to canada. No one depends on anyone income.
Now we are in canada and she is working. And im still looking for a job.
To work out an agreement, you need to talk to your soon to be ex spouse.
You can hire lawyers or I believe that can be done yourselves as well. But I have no experience on it.

And looking at your timeline, you can't get a divorce until Jan 2021 anyway. (provided that you have stayed in the same province/terriroty since you landed)

Shaikhcanada

Mar 11, 2020
We are having an arguments and fights every single day, which gives me stress and mentally sickness to be with her, once i told her i will leave her and divorced her, she said kill me or i will kill myself, and then i kept slient. I dont want to hurt her and I don’t wish.. i want her to be happy always but for sure not with me, its very stressfull for me now to talk on our arguments every single day.
what ever money we save before coming to canada is in her account and honestly I don’t want a single dollar from that, i just want to move myself away from her in piece.
Today i ask my friend to borrow me some money so i can rent an apartment and move myself there before announcing her officially that i want divorce.
Why im not announcing now because im scared that she will hurt her self and will blame me in front of police that i did it because she said this to me once.

Im sorry im writing all this here because im alone and feel depressed.

what do i do? Is it correct to move to an apartment?

I can forgive her what ever she did but i cant accept her now as my wife..
I don’t want to embarrassed her at all because i do respect her and I want her to be happy without me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are having an arguments and fights every single day, which gives me stress and mentally sickness to be with her, once i told her i will leave her and divorced her, she said kill me or i will kill myself, and then i kept slient. I dont want to hurt her and I don’t wish.. i want her to be happy always but for sure not with me, its very stressfull for me now to talk on our arguments every single day.
what ever money we save before coming to canada is in her account and honestly I don’t want a single dollar from that, i just want to move myself away from her in piece.
Today i ask my friend to borrow me some money so i can rent an apartment and move myself there before announcing her officially that i want divorce.
Why im not announcing now because im scared that she will hurt her self and will blame me in front of police that i did it because she said this to me once.

Im sorry im writing all this here because im alone and feel depressed.

what do i do? Is it correct to move to an apartment?

I can forgive her what ever she did but i cant accept her now as my wife..
I don’t want to embarrassed her at all because i do respect her and I want her to be happy without me.
Would make sure you are with a 3rd person when you return home to get your belongings. You can also often arrange for the police to be with you come to get belongings to move out of a shared residence. This is Canada, divorce doesn’t have the stigma it does elsewhere. I’m not naïve enough to think it doesn’t still have stigma in some communities within Canada but it is definitely more tolerated. You should get a divorce if you are not happy. It is best to limit contact especially in person and keep any record of communication so best to communicate via text or email or record calls. This is especially important based on past behaviour and your concern that this may get ugly. I would not give your wife your new address. It will be 1 year before you can get divorced. Would try to focus on trying to stay civil and repeating exactly what you said that you want both of you to be happy.

Would warm you that if you get married again soon there will be more scrutiny if you sponsor a new spouse.