+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does IRCC trace siblings living in Canada when we apply?

cutiemoon

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
I applied for my visa ages ago. My brother just graduated from McGill and has his PGWP. I’m wondering if IRCC Officer will trace my brother? As I mentioned he lives in Canada in the family IMM form and that he just graduated in my SOP. If they do that’s good, as they’ll know he didn’t stay illegally after his student status ended and they’ll know I won’t too. What do you guys think? Do they trace siblings?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Don’t know what you mean by “trace”. If you mentioned it in the forum, then that is all you need. They can easily check his status and know he is Canada legally.

cutiemoon

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
Don’t know what you mean by “trace”. If you mentioned it in the forum, then that is all you need. They can easily check his status and know he is Canada legally.
By trace I mean, will they look my brother up in their IRCC records

Oct 11, 2021
Vancouver, BC
Hi cutiemoon,

Every information or person (family member, former representatives, etc.) you declare to IRCC will be linked with your profile on their system.
However, IRCC would not necessarily look up your brother's information unless there are some red flags.
Don't worry :)

cutiemoon

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
Hi cutiemoon,

Every information or person (family member, former representatives, etc.) you declare to IRCC will be linked with your profile on their system.
However, IRCC would not necessarily look up your brother's information unless there are some red flags.
Don't worry :)
Thank you!! I was hoping they would look my brother up honestly, as I feel like it would help my case haha

cutiemoon

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
A
How does it help your case?
a very common reason of refusal is they don’t think you’ll return home after your studies are completed. by this they mean that’s you’ll over stay your visa illegally. My brother graduated and is on PGWP so he did everything legally, so if they know that, they’ll know I won’t overstay illegally and give me that reason of refusal ( they can give me others , but not this then ) I think

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A
a very common reason of refusal is they don’t think you’ll return home after your studies are completed. by this they mean that’s you’ll over stay your visa illegally. My brother graduated and is on PGWP so he did everything legally, so if they know that, they’ll know I won’t overstay illegally and give me that reason of refusal ( they can give me others , but not this then ) I think
Having a sibling who is already in Canada can actually make it more difficult to be approved since this significantly strengthens your ties to Canada.

If you are also planning to complete a university program in Canada at a good school (like McGill) and your financials / your parent's financials are very strong, then you should have a decent chance.

Reactions: wonderbly

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
A
So having a brother in Canada is a tie to Canada and not your home country. It makes your approval more difficult because you have a sibling on his PGWP and there is less reason for your to return home.

Reactions: wonderbly

cutiemoon

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
Having a sibling who is already in Canada can actually make it more difficult to be approved since this significantly strengthens your ties to Canada.

If you are also planning to complete a university program in Canada at a good school (like McGill) and your financials / your parent's financials are very strong, then you should have a decent chance.
True it is a double edged sword. But Canada wants students don’t they? They only give the refusal reason of not returning home, if they think the applicant will over stay illegally. That’s how I and lots of consultants take the meaning as.

Also, I’m going to Western so it’s an okay school. Not a great one

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
True it is a double edged sword. But Canada wants students don’t they? They only give the refusal reason of not returning home, if they think the applicant will over stay illegally. That’s how I and lots of consultants take the meaning as.
It's not so much about staying illegally as the primary intent being to immigrate vs. study.

So if your choice or programs in Canada is weak (i.e. doesn't show a progression of studies, doesn't make sense in light of your previous education & work experience), this makes it look like your primary intent is to immigration and you aren't a genuine student.

Having a sibling in Canada increases the chances IRCC may think your primary intent is to immigrate. But again, as long as you've picked a strong program and school and can show strong funds, you should be OK.

cutiemoon

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
It's not so much about staying illegally as the primary intent being to immigrate vs. study.

So if your choice or programs in Canada is weak (i.e. doesn't show a progression of studies, doesn't make sense in light of your previous education & work experience), this makes it look like your primary intent is to immigration and you aren't a genuine student.

Having a sibling in Canada increases the chances IRCC may think your primary intent is to immigrate. But again, as long as you've picked a strong program and school and can show strong funds, you should be OK.
I’m a fresh high school graduate, I have no previous secondary education OR work experience. I’m going for undergrad, I am a genuine student.
I’m pursing Sociology at Western. I’m from Pakistan. How are my chances? Now you guys have worried me :(