+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does IRCC check the details of the tax filing?

Maysashahin90

Star Member
Sep 1, 2020
Dear all
I have a question with regards to the IRCC and the CRA tax filing
When applying for citizenship, i know that we have to answer a question about filing taxes
My question is, does the IRCC check the details as in how much was paid in taxes or how much was owed etc?

Its not that anything is being covered its just that i filed a reassesment on my last years taxes as my agent claimed a return that i wasnt eligible too and it was reassesed properly and i paid that benefit even before the reassesment was conculded . Also i have collected 4 payments of CRB and i found out i am inelgigible so i paid them back

Will any of that impact the application? I have been worried sick honestly

Thank you and please let me know

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Dear all
When applying for citizenship, i know that we have to answer a question about filing taxes
My question is, does the IRCC check the details as in how much was paid in taxes or how much was owed etc?

Its not that anything is being covered its just that i filed a reassesment on my last years taxes as my agent claimed a return that i wasnt eligible too and it was reassesed properly and i paid that benefit even before the reassesment was conculded . Also i have collected 4 payments of CRB and i found out i am inelgigible so i paid them back

Its about whether its filed, not about whether you owe tax or you claimed/received refund.
Immigration wont worry about tax issues.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Dear all

As long as you've filed the tax returns as necessary, you should be good. The nuances of tax credits and debits are not very relevant to the citizenship application process IMO.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
i filed a reassesment on my last years taxes as my agent claimed a return that i wasnt eligible too and it was reassesed properly and i paid that benefit even before the reassesment was conculded .

I have a similar case (I just repaid after the reassessment), and I have my Canadian passport now. Everything in my application went smoothly (not counting the covid delays.) So, no worries.