+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does "Dual Degree (4 years)" count as "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees"?

Mjmmm

Apr 28, 2020
Hi all,
I'm the spouse on an express entry application, and we just received our ITA. Yay. In my profile for the education section I put that I had two separate degrees ("Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees") because I did a double-major of a Bachelor of Architecture and Bachelor of Art during the same time period and got a degree for each one separately.... But WES report came back and says:

Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts
Year: 2013
Awarded by: -------- University
Major/Specialization: Art and Architecture
Canadian Equivalency: Dual bachelor's degree (four years)

Now I'm not sure if I'm allowed to claim that I have two separate degrees after all, or if this only counts as 1?

Question 1. I'm wondering if I should just put one of the degrees in the education history since I only have 1 ECA number. Since I'm the spouse on the application our points would only go down by 1 with one degree instead of two, and that is still within the cutoff minimum points for this draw. But this option seems to be leaving out information.

Question 2. Or, should I put both degrees in the education history section with the same ECA number and hope I will be credited with the points for "two or more certificates"? I'm worried that this may look like misrepresentation if the ECA doesn't support it.

Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

youngman

Mar 4, 2019
Hi all,
I'm the spouse on an express entry application, and we just received our ITA. Yay. In my profile for the education section I put that I had two separate degrees ("Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees") because I did a double-major of a Bachelor of Architecture and Bachelor of Art during the same time period and got a degree for each one separately.... But WES report came back and says:

Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts
Year: 2013
Awarded by: -------- University
Major/Specialization: Art and Architecture
Canadian Equivalency: Dual bachelor's degree (four years)

Now I'm not sure if I'm allowed to claim that I have two separate degrees after all, or if this only counts as 1?

Question 1. I'm wondering if I should just put one of the degrees in the education history since I only have 1 ECA number. Since I'm the spouse on the application our points would only go down by 1 with one degree instead of two, and that is still within the cutoff minimum points for this draw. But this option seems to be leaving out information.

Question 2. Or, should I put both degrees in the education history section with the same ECA number and hope I will be credited with the points for "two or more certificates"? I'm worried that this may look like misrepresentation if the ECA doesn't support it.

Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!
Dual Bachelor's degree counts as one. Therefore, you can't claim points for 2 separate degrees (people have been rejected in the past because of this). You may use a different agency for reevaluation.

Q1: Since dual bachelor's degree is considered one, using 1 ECA number should be sufficient; you may explain in your LOE.

Q2: You should definitely put it in your education history section as you're supposed to disclose every educational qualification. However, you won't be receiving any points for it unless your ECA provides separate Canadian Equivalency for the each degree obtained.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I don't know how it works exactly for couples, but as a spouse weren't you required to put your ECA reference when you completed your education details?

In any case, youngman noted, you can't use dual degrees for 2 or more certificates, one is at least a 3 year bachelor's degree. It counts only as one degree. I don't think it's worth shopping around for another ECA, unless you need the additional points.

Just write in your LOE that it's actually quivalent to a 4 year degree on your ECA, and therefore amending your application to reflect so.

Tulsi

Oct 19, 2019
Dear experts,

I have completed my 3 years Aircraft maintenance engineering course ( enrolled in 2017 - completed in 2020).Since it was a license course ,and considered as 3 yrs diploma course after +2.

After one year i.e on 2018 I enrolled for bachelor program via distance mode and get it completed on 2021 (3 yrs ) . In this circumstances will I be able to get points of 2 or more degree /diploma /trade certificate score on CRS score calculator for express entry?