+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does criminal background history affect one's proof of citizenship application?

Rayjrango

Mar 8, 2016
If one has been convicted of a misdemeanor in the states, can the Canadian government curb the proof of citizenship application for any reason? Do I need to take more action if I already submitted the application?

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Rayjrango said:
If one has been convicted of a misdemeanor in the states, can the Canadian government curb the proof of citizenship application for any reason? Do I need to take more action if I already submitted the application?
Consider consulting some attorney or a paralegal to guide you and avoid any adverse effect it may or may not have on your processing.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rayjrango said:
No, there is no background check for a citizen by descent.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadiandesi2006 said:
Consider consulting some attorney or a paralegal to guide you and avoid any adverse effect it may or may not have on your processing.
No need to consult a lawyer. The OP is already a citizen, and there is no language, knowledge, or criminal check for a citizen by descent. If the OP had been convicted of terrorism, the previous government could have started proceedings to strip him of his Canadian citizenship, but the current government has dropped that plan. The OP asks about a misdemeanor (lesser crime), which is certainly no bar to receiving proof of citizenship.

Reactions: BrooklynMommy