+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Canadian Government arrange for ANY job or housing?

sunshinejan

Jul 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I am a newbie and so many things are still unclear to me.
Does Canadian Government provide for at least some job and housing until you get on your own feet?
Like when you win a greencard and have no clues US government offers some assistance.

Does Canada at least in some terms assist the new immigrants for finding a job and low cost apartments, etc?

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - the Canadian government does not provide housing or a job until you get on your own feet. It is up to you to find a job and housing.

There are programs offered by the Canadian government that teach you how to put together a Canadian resume, how to interview for jobs and how to search for jobs. But you're pretty much on your own when it comes to actually finding a job.

As for housing, low cost housing is available but most cities have around a 10 year waiting list for this subsidized housing. So you won't have access to subsidized housing when you arrive and it will be up to you to find housing at a reasonable cost.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada doesn't have a green card lottery so most of the immigrants that get PR of Canada are either already working in Canada or come with a job offer. The few who are allowed to immigrate without a job offer are required to bring enough savings to last for at least 6 months.

Fredrick_n

May 5, 2017
..... There are programs offered by the Canadian government that teach you how to put together a Canadian resume, how to interview ....
It most probably is a slip of the tongue, but a "Canadian resume" ? like it differs from resumes in other parts of the world in some way ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It most probably is a slip of the tongue, but a "Canadian resume" ? like it differs from resumes in other parts of the world in some way ?
No - not a slip of the tongue. It's a good idea for newcomers to familiarize themselves with how resumes is laid out to make sure they are putting their best foot forward when they apply for jobs. There can be some significant differences from other parts of the world. For example, in some places it's very normal to place a great deal of focus on your education (including listing grades achieved) and list job titles and some responsibilities - but no job accomplishments. In some parts of the world it's quite normal to include your picture in your resume along with details like your age right at the start. I do a lot of hiring for one of Canada's big banks and can't even begin to tell you what I've seen in resumes over the years that did not do the applicant any favours because they failed to highlight what's expected here. I also mentor new business immigrants to Canada and (depending on what part of the world they come from), their resume is often one of our first focus areas. The gap that I most often see is resumes that fail to articulate past job responsibilities clearly and also achievements properly.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
No. Afraid once you arrive you are pretty much on your own. There are many non profit immigrant help organisations, but even they tend to have limited value in these arenas. You may be able to also find some free language centres (English and french) to help with that.

It's an adventure with many challenges. Good luck

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
Canadian government subsidize French and English language classes for newcomers. I had zero previous knowledge in French, then I enrolled into several French classes, and now I would not be hungry at French restaurant or get lost in Montreal or Paris.

Being bilingual is a big plus in some areas when competing for the jobs.

Fredrick_n

May 5, 2017
No - not a slip of the tongue. It's a good idea for newcomers to familiarize themselves with how resumes is laid out to make sure they are putting their best foot forward when ....
Good thing I asked ! I wasn't sure at first ...
I could probably find something in Google search, but since you seem to be pretty experienced in the filed of human resources and employment, could you find some time to quickly point out some little do's and don'ts about Canadian Resumes ?

very appreciated

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
There are many resources online regarding how to write a resume. Search, how to prepare a resume for (your job type). Bet you will find more than you need. If you are really concerned you can find professional resume writers online that will help you with a proper resume that fits your exact experience and circumstances.

C

Classic Chucks

Canadian resumes are always targeted to the job you are applying for. You actually have to tailor it every time you apply for a job.

Reactions: Fredrick_n