+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does BLS Require Original Documents for OCI?

Nov 1, 2020
Hey everyone :)

I submitted my OCI application last week to the Surrey location in Vancouver.

What do you guys think? Will they require originals or are notarized copies enough?

Last edited:

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Hey everyone :)

I submitted my OCI application last week to the Surrey location in Vancouver.

What do you guys think? Will they require originals or are notarized copies enough?
Originals are needed for verification purpose only.

The application packet as such will only require all self-attested photocopies only.

If you are sending the application using courier pickup service then the original documents will be returned back after verification in a separate courier.
Otherwise, if you are going there personally (walk-in/appointment) then they check the originals and you never have to leave it with them for the OCI processing.

All the best!

Reactions: canvisa13
Nov 1, 2020
Originals are needed for verification purpose only.

The application packet as such will only require all self-attested photocopies only.

If you are sending the application using courier pickup service then the original documents will be returned back after verification in a separate courier.
Otherwise, if you are going there personally (walk-in/appointment) then they check the originals and you never have to leave it with them for the OCI processing.

All the best!
Thanks for the reply! I used the courier service and I only provided notarized copies of everything. The status now says "UNDER PROCESS" and they never asked for the originals. Will they ask for them later you think?

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the reply! I used the courier service and I only provided notarized copies of everything. The status now says "UNDER PROCESS" and they never asked for the originals. Will they ask for them later you think?
If they don't ask its great! Can't say. Wait and watch.

ponki

May 31, 2018
Hi everyone,
I am going to apply for oci for my infant who is a US citizen at BLS surrey. We will be opting for a postal application. My questions are:
1. What is the exact draft amount? As per my understanding it is a single draft of $345(cgi fee)+7.4(bls processing fee) in favor of BLS surrey.
2. Do we need to get all documents notarized? I spoke to someone through their helpline and he said just the birth certificate needs to be notarized, rest copies need to be self attested.
3. There is no document for which we need to send in the original. All documents should only be sent as self attested copies. Please let me know if my understanding is correct.
4. What is the average processing time at BLS surrey for postal applications?

TIA for your help!