+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does being unemployed will affect the pr status?

KN26

Jan 6, 2019
Hi I hope someone can answer my question?

Does being unemployed affect the permenent resident status?
Because my mom can’t really speak english so it’s hard for her to find a job, she’s been unemployed since we got here in Canada, almost 3 years now, and we’re worried maybe this can affect her permanent resident status.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi I hope someone can answer my question?

Does being unemployed affect the permenent resident status?
Because my mom can’t really speak english so it’s hard for her to find a job, she’s been unemployed since we got here in Canada, almost 3 years now, and we’re worried maybe this can affect her permanent resident status.

Thanks
Hi

No effect.

Reactions: Hannan94

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just a polite suggestion but whilst she is unemployed assume she is hopefully spending the time productively maybe attending or planning to attend English classes to improve her chances.

Reactions: arthurbr

KN26

Jan 6, 2019
Just a polite suggestion but whilst she is unemployed assume she is hopefully spending the time productively maybe attending or planning to attend English classes to improve her chances.
She’s 49 y/o. she’s having a hard time to learn english. That’s why she doesn’t want to try enrolling on english class.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
She’s 49 y/o. she’s having a hard time to learn english. That’s why she doesn’t want to try enrolling on english class.
Wrong attitude entirely. Being part of Canada is to speak English and/or French.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even though she’s not paying any taxes because she’s unemployed?
no effect on PR, but also she will not get any retirement money later on because she is not working and paying the taxes.
And yes if she wants to live in Canada better to learn the language. Of course she can return to her home country there she would not need to learn English.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Although it will be challenging to learn English living without it will be very difficult. Maybe your parents got divorced since you normally need language skills to immigrate. Seeing other adults struggle may help her learn. It also places a ton of responsibility on her children. Not being able to go to the doctor by yourself or if you end up in the hospital you can't communicate what is wrong or what you need. Translation is not always available. Your mother will not be able to apply for citizenship until she is old enough to not do the language test.

Reactions: YVR123

felixtae

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
I have a slight different question. If I applied my PR via FSW programme and unable to get a job, right now just taking some minimum pay hourly position. Would that cause any troubles when I apply for citizenship? I figure out it is time to give up after 18 months, just wait out until I receive my citizenship and then get a job in a different country.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a slight different question. If I applied my PR via FSW programme and unable to get a job, right now just taking some minimum pay hourly position. Would that cause any troubles when I apply for citizenship? I figure out it is time to give up after 18 months, just wait out until I receive my citizenship and then get a job in a different country.
That's doable!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
She should still try. As told above, she will need some basic English when she's sick/admitted in the hospital. It's for her own benefit.
And she doesn't planned to become a citizen until she's over 54 years old? I guess she can wait out and not do the English language test. But encourage her to take some basic ESL.

btw. she should still file her tax with no income.

Last edited:

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your salary will not influence your PR application (unless you got a PNP in BC where salary is part of evaluation process). All you need to prove if your past work experience. Good luck.

felixtae

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Your salary will not influence your PR application (unless you got a PNP in BC where salary is part of evaluation process). All you need to prove if your past work experience. Good luck.
Am not talking about PR application but PR card renewal as well as citizenship further down the road.