+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does being out of work affect student permit application ?

CuriousPo

Aug 7, 2023
Lagos
Category........
STUDY
Good Day All,
Pls advise.

Let's say an applicant graduated over 10 years ago and has extensive work history up until 2020. From 2020 till present, said applicant has survived on family, whom reside in the same home country as the applicant.

How does this bode on the student visa application ? Does a lack of recent employment affect how the visa officer views the application ? Does your CV carry weight in student visa applications even if its family sponsored ?

I don't want to "create" employment history that's not entirely true and end up in hot water.

Resettlementincanada

Aug 14, 2021
When you submit your study visa/permit application you need to show that you are a bona fide student, this can be shown by explaining why you are planning to study that course and what are your future goals. You should explain why you couldn't work after 2020 and persuade the officer to give you a visa.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Good Day All,
Pls advise.

Let's say an applicant graduated over 10 years ago and has extensive work history up until 2020. From 2020 till present, said applicant has survived on family, whom reside in the same home country as the applicant.

How does this bode on the student visa application ? Does a lack of recent employment affect how the visa officer views the application ? Does your CV carry weight in student visa applications even if its family sponsored ?

I don't want to "create" employment history that's not entirely true and end up in hot water.
"Creating" an employment history is misrepresentation and will get you a 5 year ban from coming to Canada so that is not advisable. Graduating 10 years ago and not working for the last 3 won't help your chances. What course did you do in college/university, how will coming to Canada advance your employment in your home country, the Philippines I think? Do you have relatives in Canada, do you have the funds to pay for your studies and living expenses. How can you show you will leave Canada once your studies are completed? All things that have to be addressed when you are considering to apply.

Reactions: rcincanada2019

CuriousPo

Aug 7, 2023
Lagos
Category........
STUDY
When you submit your study visa/permit application you need to show that you are a bona fide student, this can be shown by explaining why you are planning to study that course and what are your future goals. You should explain why you couldn't work after 2020 and persuade the officer to give you a visa.

Understood. Thank you. Will do so.

CuriousPo

Aug 7, 2023
Lagos
Category........
STUDY
"Creating" an employment history is misrepresentation and will get you a 5 year ban from coming to Canada so that is not advisable. Graduating 10 years ago and not working for the last 3 won't help your chances. What course did you do in college/university, how will coming to Canada advance your employment in your home country, the Philippines I think? Do you have relatives in Canada, do you have the funds to pay for your studies and living expenses. How can you show you will leave Canada once your studies are completed? All things that have to be addressed when you are considering to apply.
No, not from the Philippines!!. First degree is a BBA in Finance from a US university. Per my last statement I said I wouldn't want to end up in hot water HENCE my seeking advice. I believe the onus of my question was the importance of employment gaps and how CV'S/Resumes are weighted in the overall application; I think you've pointed to the importance. Far as the other elements, I believe I'm well covered.

Thanks for your timely response

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
No, not from the Philippines!!. First degree is a BBA in Finance from a US university. Per my last statement I said I wouldn't want to end up in hot water HENCE my seeking advice. I believe the onus of my question was the importance of employment gaps and how CV'S/Resumes are weighted in the overall application; I think you've pointed to the importance. Far as the other elements, I believe I'm well covered.

Thanks for your timely response
Sorry about my assumption, the Po in your name is a common phrase of respect in the Filipino language, good luck.

Reactions: CuriousPo

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Good Day All,
Pls advise.

As others have commented, being unemployed ATM could be a factor against you, unless you have a significant savings under your name all these years.

You need strong ties to home country, such as properties. You also need a good LOE to explain how studying in Canada could boost your employability in your home country. Would also suggest going for Masters or PhD to increase your chances. If you are from SDS qualified country, apply through SDS. Pay 1 yr tuition in full and deposit $10K in GIC to make a strong financial case.

Good luck to your application.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
Good Day All,
Pls advise.

Hi there. I cannot advise you on this, but I can share my experience. I was laid off in early 2020 because of the pandemic and other factors. By this point, I already applied to universities and had decisions to make. A few clients reached out to me, to work with them independently as a consultant, but that was not full-time work, and did not guarantee a fixed amount of money per month.

I had 8 years of work experience prior to this. I detailed this in my Statement of Purpose, mentioning that I was working as a consultant. Mentioned my work experience, savings, and that my parents would be helping me out as co-applicants on a study loan,. I attached proof of that too. Got my study permit, studied in Canada, graduated successfully.

I'd suggest you to be honest, explain yourself in the Statement of Purpose, and attach proofs for everything. You'll be fine. :)

CuriousPo

Aug 7, 2023
Lagos
Category........
STUDY
Hi there. I cannot advise you on this, but I can share my experience. I was laid off in early 2020 because of the pandemic and other factors. By this point, I already applied to universities and had decisions to make. A few clients reached out to me, to work with them independently as a consultant, but that was not full-time work, and did not guarantee a fixed amount of money per month.

I had 8 years of work experience prior to this. I detailed this in my Statement of Purpose, mentioning that I was working as a consultant. Mentioned my work experience, savings, and that my parents would be helping me out as co-applicants on a study loan,. I attached proof of that too. Got my study permit, studied in Canada, graduated successfully.

I'd suggest you to be honest, explain yourself in the Statement of Purpose, and attach proofs for everything. You'll be fine. :)
Thank you for sharing this ☺ Will proceed to detail everything in the LOE as you've suggested and hope for the best.