+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does anyone know why CIC is telling me to apply for a temporary resident visa (trv) for my study permit as well?

zeyone

Nov 9, 2020
I sent a webform asking about when my passport request would come since my decision has been made but they told me that my study permit has been approved and that I'm advised to apply for a trv as well. I thought they should be issuing me one instead of me applying for a trv and a study permit in separate applications? I am not from a visa-exempt country and need a trv to enter.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
TRV is automatic if you applied correctly as being outside Canada. Do you perhaps have another Canadian visa already?

zeyone

Nov 9, 2020
TRV is automatic if you applied correctly as being outside Canada. Do you perhaps have another Canadian visa already?
I don't have an existing canadian visa and I believe I applied correctly, Im leaning towards it being a mistake on their end :/

Worthy

Oct 21, 2020
I sent a webform asking about when my passport request would come since my decision has been made but they told me that my study permit has been approved and that I'm advised to apply for a trv as well. I thought they should be issuing me one instead of me applying for a trv and a study permit in separate applications? I am not from a visa-exempt country and need a trv to enter.
Hi zeyone,

Did you submit imm5257b when you submitted your application online, when you submitted imm1294e which is the study permit application form, you also need to submit the imm5257b which is the TRV application form , maybe you should contact the Canadian embassy in your country, they might be able to help

Manoj957

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
Study permit and TRV are two different things and both are required to travel to Canada. Study permit will be stamped by the CBSA officer at the border , however TRV will be stamped in your passport in your country. You supposed to have filled up TRV along with your study permit. Nonetheless, TRV can be filled up afterwards also on request of IRCC