+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does anyone foresee IRCC implementing online submission for citizenship applications?

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
It is already strange that while PR applications have moved online since 2015, citizenship applications must still be submitted on paper by mail.

Now, with Covid-19, it appears that the processing of application has been put on hold because of office closure, though they are still accepting new applications. I anticipate that this will result in a backlog, further delaying the processing of applications.

It seems reasonable to me that IRCC might consider implementing online application for citizenship, which will only make processing more efficient. In addition, it will also help with infection control as their employees will deal with less paper.

There is no sign that they will be doing this though, although I hope they will!

I will be eligible to apply for citizenship 1 year from now ...

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Plz send me link for online PR application. I still think that it is offline for PR card renewals.

Can we do PR card renewals via online application.

Thanks

MartinT

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Montreal
IELTS Request
N/A
Applications for PR Card renewals are still paper-based.
You still need to download, fill out, print, and send them the application package.
The only thing you can do online is.... paying of fees.

Reactions: s23srinivas

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Still it's paper based. Can you please provide the exact link or the screen shot?
My bad. The link leads to only payment of fees online but the actual renewal application is to be done on paper. I still have some time for my pr card renewal and jumped the gun to reply. Sorry about the confusion caused.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
I certainly wish that they have plans to move citizenship application online.. Maybe they'll do it in time so that when I apply everything would be online :p

cicnews.com recently reported that IRCC is looking for contractor(s) to implement further digital solutions to handle their operations.
https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/canada-set-to-modernize-immigration-system-0614674.html#gs.9xr7hu

Looking at the bidding document, IRCC does seem to have plans to digitalize citizenship application, although it appears that their near-future priority is to move citizenship testing online first.

https://buyandsell.gc.ca/cds/public/2020/05/27/1b081e32a5e8149bc7bf86895dc4c4d6/ABES.PROD.PW__ZM.B626.E37814.EBSU000.PDF

Key technology capabilities urgently required as a result of COID-19 include:
x Digital tools to address new physical distancing requirements, reducing physical presence
requirements with digital alternatives (i.e. online citizenship testing, online visa and citizenship
applications
)
The Contractor must develop prototypes that, will demonstrate the ability to facilitate physical distancing
requirements and continue to meet operational mandate of IRCC. Initial focus being online citizenship
testing.

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
I certainly wish that they have plans to move citizenship application online.. Maybe they'll do it in time so that when I apply everything would be online :p

cicnews.com recently reported that IRCC is looking for contractor(s) to implement further digital solutions to handle their operations.
https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/canada-set-to-modernize-immigration-system-0614674.html#gs.9xr7hu

Looking at the bidding document, IRCC does seem to have plans to digitalize citizenship application, although it appears that their near-future priority is to move citizenship testing online first.

https://buyandsell.gc.ca/cds/public/2020/05/27/1b081e32a5e8149bc7bf86895dc4c4d6/ABES.PROD.PW__ZM.B626.E37814.EBSU000.PDF
Good find! I guess they will be moving to online citizenship tests in near future.

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good find! I guess they will be moving to online citizenship tests in near future.
I think it will take time to implement the new system. This is just a start of bidding process

JandR

Dec 9, 2013
I think it will take time to implement the new system. This is just a start of bidding process
I believe the process has already been started... bids have been awarded to Delloitte and Accenture....contracts were awarded on 25th June.... since these are reputed Consulting firms, I hope they will propose and will implement robust digital solutions asap..

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe the process has already been started... bids have been awarded to Delloitte and Accenture....contracts were awarded on 25th June.... since these are reputed Consulting firms, I hope they will propose and will implement robust digital solutions asap..
Good to hear that... I wonder what will happen to paper apps and how will they clear the back log after new system is up and running

JandR

Dec 9, 2013
Good to hear that... I wonder what will happen to paper apps and how will they clear the back log after new system is up and running
There are multiple digital pillars that are catering to different requirements....immediate focus is on virtualising citizenship tests and increasing productivity, automation thru RPA and Analytics solution...meanwhile, paper based applications will continue to be processed as usual(once they start processing them)... ‘online’ citizenship applications will happen some where next year and till then they try and clear out all existing applications thru productivity improvements by applying RPA and analytics..

Reactions: anandg12

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Plz send me link for online PR application. I still think that it is offline for PR card renewals.

Can we do PR card renewals via online application.

Thanks
I was actually referring to the Express Entry system, which came into being in 2015. It was through that system that I applied for and obtained my PR. PR Card renewals are still paper-based applications, as you said.

Reactions: visa_4all

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016

I think this is great news. Something positive is coming out of Covid-19.