+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does an overstay affect future TWP applications?

scuudz

Sep 29, 2011
Hi all,

I'm glad to find such a wealth of information online through this forum! I'm really hoping someone will be able to give me some information on my case. I'll try to make it as short as possible! Please read below.

Entered Canada in 2005 on a study permit. Applied for work permit (off-campus) in 2007. Renewed study and work permits until March, 2010.

However, I was working on the incorrect work permit during my time in Canada. I made the following errors when I was there:

1. I thought the off-campus work permit was the same as the full-time work permit i.e. I didnt know there was more than one kind of work permit. And I worked full-time on the off-campus work permit.

2. I applied the same logic to both, visas and permits. You can continue living in Canada after your resident visa expires, but you have to re-apply for it once you leave the country (which is what I did in 2009), but you cannot stay in the country after your study/work permits expire. You have to renew them from within Canada before they expire.

So, technically, due to my negligence, I over-stayed in Canada for 14 months (from March, 2010 to May, 2011). When I found out about my error, I informed my employer and CIC to get the best advice, and hence left the country to get all my paperwork in order. I was never given a removal order or deportation order or anything like that. Therefore, I left the country as soon as I found out about error.

So, my question is, does an individual's work permit application get refused by default because he/she has overstayed previously?

Thanks in advance! Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!