+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does age difference / previous marriages matter?

tinytortoise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Houston, Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-02-2013
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
My fiancé is 15 years older than me, will this be a red flag?

Also I've been married before, he has not (no kids) does that create a red flag?

I ask because I see on here where people type their stats and they say "no age difference, no previous marriages".

Quebec_visitor

Feb 4, 2012
Quebec
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
October 2011
Age doesnt matter when u love each other ;D ...but about previous marriage they really need divorce, separation or annulment paper....i am previously married and thats the remaining requiremnts i need so i could submit my papers.... which country are u going to submit your papers if in case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are a number of things we refer to as "red flags" around here. Significant age differences is one of them. Red flags are differences in a relationship that can cause CIC to question if your relationship is genuine. Having one or a few of the items from the list of red flags typically isn't a problem if you have a lot of other supporting documentation that proves your relationship is real. Red flags can include:

- significant age differences (especially where the woman is older)
- differences in education levels
- different religious backgrounds
- small / informal weddings
- weddings where no family attended
- short engagements
- family has never met your partner/spouse
- different cultural backgrounds / nationalities
- very different financial situations
- and more...

My husband (American) is 16 years older than I am and was divorced (a long time ago). To counter the age difference, we provided a mountain of evidence supporting that our relationship is genuine. His file was processed in four months.

Reactions: Novel

tinytortoise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Houston, Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-02-2013
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
Thanks scylla, you've been very helpful here and on my other post :)

liza-laziza

Star Member
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-11-2010
I personally know a guy who was married to a woman 21 YEARS older than him!! His app got processed in 9 months (it was 10 years ago). Nobody even asked him a question... Pure love transcends social boundaries!

Kaycee1

Jan 17, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor Approved 24-02-2011
AOR Received.
02-03-2011
Med's Request
In process 20-05-2011
Med's Done....
26-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-06-11
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-11
LANDED..........
14-08-11
I am 17 years older than my husband, I was previously married and have 4 grown children. He has one daughter still in Portugal but was never married before. His permanent residency was approved in just under 5 months, without an interview. I think the most important thing is the strength of proof you provide!

G.Ysabelle

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
sent Jan. 30, 2012, CIC received Feb. 02
Doc's Request.
Appendix A; Orig. NSO AOM; Passport; PP pics. of my kids - non accompanying
AOR Received.
AOR Feb. 2; DM & Approval May 8, 2012
IELTS Request
Exam date 09/2010 Band Score 7
Med's Done....
Jan. 09, 2012
Passport Req..
Received by CEM May 18; Letter dated June 6; Received June 14; Addt'l docs. sent June 22
My husband is 15 years senior than me, he is divorced for 8 years with two teens from previous marriage. I am annulled with two kids from previous marriage. Me and my husband now have a 2 year old girl... and we just recently got married. We submitted tons of proofs like the very first pic. we met in person way back 3 years ago up to our wedding pictures with our little girl, all his visit trips here in the Phils.etc. .... We waited for 3 long years to prove to both our respective families that we both want a future together... and we will prove it too to the immigration officer that our love is genuine inspite all the hurdles and challenges we've been through apart.

canuck0469

Nov 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01 Feb, 2010
AOR Received.
Mar 11,2010
File Transfer...
26 Feb, 2010
Med's Request
Nov 22, 2010
Med's Done....
Jan 6, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 17, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2, 2010
LANDED..........
Dec 27, 2010
tini, there is a 30 year age difference between my wife and myself and my divorce wasn't finalized until 2 weeks before our wedding. As I joined the family sponsorship forum 6-7 months before the wedding we were able to gather enough evidence to support our 3 year relationship we got through in 9 months without an interview. Understanding your red flags helps you address them with your application. We made sure we added sufficient evidence to explain the red flags in detail. We showed the age difference was not an issue for either of us or our families. My wife also added that she was aware of the previous marriage and why it broke down. This in addition to all the other proofs

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
My husband is 32 years older than me... he was divorced twice, and me I'm a single mom of a 10 year old son who is still in the Philippines.

We submitted our application on Nov. 2010
Vegreville transferred it to Edmonton office Oct. 2011
I ordered foss notes- and on the remarks - they put age gap, short courtship, not enough pics together, no proof that I am not married in the Phil. etc. etc. etc.
So we answered everything and submitted our first additional information last Nov 2011, then another one in Dec. then another one last month and now we are preparing for the Feb. submission.... we sent more pictures, joint account statement, notarized letters from family and friends, Certificate of no marriage in the Phil. , cards from friends all over the world... :p
and we will never stop sending them stuff until they approve it! I am wishing for an interview actually! Just so I can defend myself... :)

bluecamas

Feb 13, 2012
I am 15 years older then my husband. We are both middle aged. I was widowed.He never married. I live in Canada, he in India. We knew each other close to a decade. I went to Mumbai after our friendship turned into engaged. We hit it off better then expected. We HAD to marry in Thailand due to the 30 day residency law in India and the terms of obtaining a temporary visa to Canada. You have to lie and say plans to return back to India. I am white( blonde) so there is another difference. We have an excellent marriage and love, spiritual bond. My husband got called for an interview. He is there as I post. I assume some red flags for matters beyond our control. Love is love. Wish all goes well. Sure do miss him..a lot!

bondar

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Miss 21 July 2011
AOR Received.
Cairo 28 Sept 2011
File Transfer...
Ottawa pilot 22 Nov 2011
Med's Done....
medical received Dec 9 2011
Interview........
8 FEB 2012
Passport Req..
13 FEB 2012
VISA ISSUED...
7 Mar 2012
LANDED..........
13 Mar 2012
Hi Bluecamas

How did your husbands interview go? Good luck :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
tinytortoise said:
My fiancé is 15 years older than me, will this be a red flag?

Also I've been married before, he has not (no kids) does that create a red flag?
Both of these are red flags, but plenty of people have been approved with these and other 'problems', so the best thing to do is to be aware of what the visa officers expect, and to prepare your application accordingly.
The more red flags a relationship has, the more proof your relationship is genuine should be included in the application.
The husband being older is less of a problem in any case. You can address the issue in the application by stating that neither of you care about the age difference.
A different relationship history can be seen as a problem. Make sure both of you know all about the other's serious relationships and why they ended, because this will probably be asked about at the interview. If you have kids, make sure your fiance knows all about them and has a good relationship with them (if possible).

How much of a problem your 'red flags' are also depends on your ethnic background. For couples from India, for example, the wife having been married before and the husband not is seen as a big issue. For a couple from Western Europe or the States, though, this would be a non-issue. In any case, you can address it by showing that your families know about the history and approve the marriage anyway.

bluecamas

Feb 13, 2012
My husband had a very weird interview at the Delhi Embassy. He is switched from a 10:30 appointment to a 1:30 appointment and has an interview with a female Indian agent. She asked if I met his mother while in Mumbai. He explains short stay and she is shy etc. She asked who proposed and upset because he did to me???? We are a western style marriage, not arranged marriage. She then says I look like I lover him from photos, he not I. I import silver jewelry from India. A lot of documentations...messenger convos and emails etc since 2008. The jewelry is mentioned often. She had not even bothered to check the files. I am blonde and white and he Indian and we got married in a Hindu Temple in Bangkok, Thailand. She denied the application, said not geniune! We are going into appeal. I strongly believe the issue is racism. a long tern document well relationship with two trips to India and lots of photos. Gifts..etc etc. I had an issue years back with that Embassy on a business visa for an exporter I knew well. Denied, I raised heck..approved. A very very badly run Embassy!

Itsy

Mar 7, 2012
This is exactly the thread I was looking for, we have 16 year age difference, he was married before with 3 children, our wedding was very very small and no family attended (as we did not think of it as a big thing or that immigration wants us to spend 1000s on our wedding =)) plus we got married two weeks after his (very very lengthy) divorce was finalized. I can make a little dress out of the red flags!!!!
Oh well, hope the fact that we have two wonderful dogs will be a killer argument ... no one gets dogs if their marriage is not genuine =)))

Cheers and good luck to all, Itsy

itscoezy

Dec 20, 2010
Puerto Vallarta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2012
Doc's Request.
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
07-08-2012
Med's Done....
10-04-2012
Interview........
20-11-2012
Passport Req..
03-01-2013
Itsy said:
Oh well, hope the fact that we have two wonderful dogs will be a killer argument ... no one gets dogs if their marriage is not genuine =)))
LoL that was cute!

There is 12.5 years difference between me and my SO and also 3 kids from his previous marriage. I think as long as you address it and have lots of evidence of your relationship you're good to go :)