+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a degree in English cover the English Test requirement?

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
Hi all,

I have a Bachelor's Degree from Australia (in English). Would that be sufficient or will I have to complete Celpip or something similar?

When I did my residency back in 2013, I didn't have to complete an English test so don't have any past results unfortunately.

Cheers

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Hi all,

I have a Bachelor's Degree from Australia (in English). Would that be sufficient or will I have to complete Celpip or something similar?

When I did my residency back in 2013, I didn't have to complete an English test so don't have any past results unfortunately.

Cheers
An arts degree from a recognised (properly accredited) tertiary institution in Australia ought to do the trick, no worries.

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
An arts degree from a recognised (properly accredited) tertiary institution in Australia ought to do the trick, no worries.
To be specific, I have a Bachelor of Music Production from Queensland University of Technology. The course was obviously completed in the English language, but the field of study wasn't focused on English. I'm not sure if that qualifies for what they're asking?

This is what's listed on their website:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photocopies of your proof of English or French language ability if you are 18-54 years of age. Examples of what you can provide include the following:
  • results of a third-party language test;
  • diploma, certificate or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program in Canada or abroad, where the language of study was English or French
  • proof that you have reached the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 4 or higher through a government-funded language training programs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone help with a definitive answer on this?

Regards

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
To be specific, I have a Bachelor of Music Production from Queensland University of Technology. The course was obviously completed in the English language, but the field of study wasn't focused on English. I'm not sure if that qualifies for what they're asking?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photocopies of your proof of English or French language ability if you are 18-54 years of age. Examples of what you can provide include the following:
  • diploma, certificate or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program in Canada or abroad, where the language of study was English or French
  • proof that you have reached the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 4 or higher through a government-funded language training programs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards
They want the medium of study to be English or French, not the field of study. Where is Queensland University of Technology ?

Nov 27, 2017
Hi All,

I had completed my degree in India and I have got an letter from my college saying that medium of instruction is ENGLISH.

Can I show as proof of adequate knowledge in English.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi All,

I had completed my degree in India and I have got an letter from my college saying that medium of instruction is ENGLISH.

Can I show as proof of adequate knowledge in English.
Submit your degree and the letter, should be fine. Degree is in English ? If not, a notarized translation will be required.

From the guide,

You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
  • If the original document is in a different language, include:
    • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
    • an official translation of the original document and
    • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education instituti

Nov 27, 2017
Submit your degree and the letter, should be fine. Degree is in English ? If not, a notarized translation will be required.

From the guide,

You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
  • If the original document is in a different language, include:
    • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
    • an official translation of the original document and
    • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education instituti
Thanks.

yes the Degree is in English.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Hi all,

Cheers
No problem. It works. Send a copy of your transcript and you will be fine. I did the same thing.

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
Thanks for the response guys. The medium (field of study) of the degree was not English, it was music production. However yes the language the degree was taken in was English. Queensland University of Technology is a Brisbane, Australia based university fyi. Few mixed messages above but generally sounds like that will be sufficient?

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Thanks for the response guys. The medium (field of study) of the degree was not English, it was music production. However yes the language the degree was taken in was English. Queensland University of Technology is a Brisbane, Australia based university fyi. Few mixed messages above but generally sounds like that will be sufficient?
I had the same situation. Degree from an university in the UK. Field of study was not English but taught in English. It worked.

Regards
If your mode of instruction for the study was English and the document is in English then you are good to go.