+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a co-op come with a visa?

samin1102

Sep 21, 2019
Hi everyone. My situation is a bit complicated. I applied for a study permit from inside Canada (summer of 2023) but they took forever and approved it in Jan 2024.
Obviously I had to defer my program that was supposed to start in Sept 2023. Unfortunately my passport was expiring in December 2023 and after waiting for 7 months with no word from IRCC, I decided to go back to my home country to renew my passport. (It takes around 6 months to renew it from inside Canada and I was worried it would be a problem being in the country for 6 months with no valid passport).

There was a lot of uncertainty and I wasn't even sure they'd approve my permit (they didn't give me the full duration of my studies, would have to renew it again). Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to be able to enter Canada since I have no visa.

They've changed the rules where they don't issue a visa on its own, I'd have to apply for a study permit again from my home country in order to get the visa. I am worried they might not issue another study permit, esp since there's a limited amount of study permits issued.

I have to apply for a work permit for my co-op and was wondering if that comes with a visa? Any other ideas how to get a visa/enter Canada when you have a study permit only? (that was issued from inside Canada)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

P.s: For anyone wondering why I waited this long before renewing my passport, it's because I had to wait 2.5 years for them to process my previous study permit. Yes you heard that right, I was in limbo for 2.5 years while they told me to suck it up because "covid processing times".