+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a Canadian Visitor visa (120 days work without permit) need a transit visa in Frankfurt Germany?

anujoshi2002

Feb 18, 2024
Hello, I'm an Indian (with Indian passport) and a Canadian visitor visa (120 days work without permit). I will be travelling to Canada via Frankfurt layover (upto 7 hrs or longer). Do I need a transit visa?
I've been getting mixed answers and just want to confirm!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I'm an Indian (with Indian passport) and a Canadian visitor visa (120 days work without permit). I will be travelling to Canada via Frankfurt layover (upto 7 hrs or longer). Do I need a transit visa?
You can’t work for 120 days without a permit on a TRV.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You cannot work in Canada without a work permit. (with only a vistor visa)
There no such thing as 120 days work without a permit. Whoever told you that is wrong.
Try telling it to the CBSA when you enter, you will be send back right away.
Working illegally will cost you in the future.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You cannot work in Canada without a work permit. (with only a vistor visa)
There no such thing as 120 days work without a permit. Whoever told you that is wrong.
Try telling it to the CBSA when you enter, you will be send back right away.
Working illegally will cost you in the future.
There is a work permit exemption for researchers at Canadian universities/research institutions.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/researcher-exemption.html

Reactions: scylla and YVR123

anujoshi2002

Feb 18, 2024
Interesting that OP is trying to hide the fact that he/she is coming to do research.
Hello, I just didn't find it would make a difference to add that. I'm not trying to hide anything. I'm actually a student coming for a research internship and not exactly a "Researcher". Please be mindful of your comments.

• Haha
Reactions: foodie69

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I just didn't find it would make a difference to add that. I'm not trying to hide anything. I'm actually a student coming for a research internship and not exactly a "Researcher". Please be mindful of your comments.
How long is the internship and not all internships qualify for the exclusion? Are you a postgrad student? Is the job affiliated with a university? There have been many posts incorrectly assuming that you can do an internship or other unpaid work without a WP which is typically not the case only the case for a very specific group of people. Would doublecheck if you haven’t the specifics of who can do a short period of work on a TRV on the Canadian government website.

Reactions: YVR123

ffm9622

Jul 19, 2019
Thank you, I've since then found out that I won't need one!
Can you share some details where to check for the same.
I have SOWP and my son has visit visa for CANADA and want to book ticket and want to make sure transit through Frankfurt is ok

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Add you can see, it does make a difference. It's a special route that do not need a work permit. Most will need one to work in Canada. It will help members to provide relevant information.