+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a 1 +1 yr diploma consecutive leads to 3 years PGWP

William G

Star Member
Oct 20, 2013
Hello Friends,

the most imp questions asked in this forum for which I'm not able to find answers.

1. Can a 1 + 1 year diploma consecutively from 2 different colleges fetch 3 years PGWP ? (eg. 1 year diploma from Centennial (Sept intake, Ontario) and then 1 year diploma from Red River college ( Jan intake, Manitoba). is it possible?
2. Can two different diploma's from two different provinces fetch me 3 years PGWP.
3. While applying for second year diploma in another province what are the visa approval chances. (study visa)
4. what are the risks involved in point no 3.
5. Can I do a similar program the second year? How will the visa officer assess it? since I'm repeating the course but from a different college and different province.(for 3 years PGWP). what are the risks involved in it? how to go for it ?
6. What are the PR chances in Manitoba, Alberta, and SASKS.

Please guys help me.?

prasprime

Dec 16, 2013
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello William.

1. Yes you can study for 1+1 year. Apply for another SP with in the previous pass expires.
2. Yes for sure.
3. More easy to get when you are inside canada.
4. I think no risks. from My opinion.
5. No same or Similar. The course level should be higer. Consider you are doing Diploma in 1st year. In 2nd year do a course like PG diploma.
6. Sask is very good. I don't know about other provinces.

There answers are my own opinion which are gathered from my friends who live in Canada.

Thank you.

William G said:
Hello Friends,

the most imp questions asked in this forum for which I'm not able to find answers.

1. Can a 1 + 1 year diploma consecutively from 2 different colleges fetch 3 years PGWP ? (eg. 1 year diploma from Centennial (Sept intake, Ontario) and then 1 year diploma from Red River college ( Jan intake, Manitoba). is it possible?
2. Can two different diploma's from two different provinces fetch me 3 years PGWP.
3. While applying for second year diploma in another province what are the visa approval chances. (study visa)
4. what are the risks involved in point no 3.
5. Can I do a similar program the second year? How will the visa officer assess it? since I'm repeating the course but from a different college and different province.(for 3 years PGWP). what are the risks involved in it? how to go for it ?
6. What are the PR chances in Manitoba, Alberta, and SASKS.

Please guys help me.?

Reactions: ynandal99

William G

Star Member
Oct 20, 2013
prasprime said:
Hello William.

1. Yes you can study for 1+1 year. Apply for another SP with in the previous pass expires.
2. Yes for sure.
3. More easy to get when you are inside canada.
4. I think no risks. from My opinion.
5. No same or Similar. The course level should be higer. Consider you are doing Diploma in 1st year. In 2nd year do a course like PG diploma.
6. Sask is very good. I don't know about other provinces.

There answers are my own opinion which are gathered from my friends who live in Canada.

Thank you.
Thanks prasprime.....

can you please ellaborate point no 5.??

Suppose Im doing a Project Management from Centinnial for 1 year then can I apply IBM Int business management in Red River college.

Will I get a study visa initially and eventually a 3 yrs work visa?

prasprime

Dec 16, 2013
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like i said. The degree should be more that, what you studied previously. Diploma in Project Management and then PG diploma in Business Administration or MBA. Like that. :)

William G said:
Thanks prasprime.....

can you please ellaborate point no 5.??

Suppose Im doing a Project Management from Centinnial for 1 year then can I apply IBM Int business management in Red River college.

Will I get a study visa initially and eventually a 3 yrs work visa?

omi khan

Nov 5, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prasprime said:
Like i said. The degree should be more that, what you studied previously. Diploma in Project Management and then PG diploma in Business Administration or MBA. Like that. :)
can we change the course from 1 year pg certificate to 2 year advanced diploma with co-op option after reaching canada?? can we get our study permit extended from 1 yr to 2 years on changing the level of study like this?? will there any objection by immigration officers on changing the level of study in this way??

plz share ur opinion..thanks

Reactions: Chalitha16

prasprime

Dec 16, 2013
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't have an idea about this. I think it is not possible in that way.

check with the senior member's message.

omi khan said:
can we change the course from 1 year pg certificate to 2 year advanced diploma with co-op option after reaching canada?? can we get our study permit extended from 1 yr to 2 years on changing the level of study like this?? will there any objection by immigration officers on changing the level of study in this way??

plz share ur opinion..thanks

ankurkool17

Apr 18, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/08/2013 Paper Based
Doc's Request.
Pre-Medical 16/07/2013
IELTS Request
Overall 6.5 (7,6,6,6)
File Transfer...
02/08/2013
Med's Request
Furtherance(03/09/2013), Again Furtherance(18/01/2014), Follow-up (20/06/2014), Final Furtherance (25/06/2014)
Med's Done....
Furtherance Completed(09/11/2013), Second Furtherance Completed(12/02/2014), Treatment Started(20/02/2014), Treatment Completed(20/08/2014), Fresh Medical(21/08/2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01/08/2013 Paper Based
VISA ISSUED...
26/08/2014 Got it. So Happy :)
LANDED..........
31/08/2014 Here I come
Once, I had the same problem and I asked tiger007 about the situtation and he told me

3. Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP):
If you do ANY single 2 academic years/ 4 semesters/minimum 16 months (where 1 sem=4 months so 4 sem=4X4=16 months) program, you will be eligible for the maximum 3 years PGWP.
If you do two different 1 academic year courses of minimum 2 semesters or 8 months long in same or different college, then you may or may not receive a 3 years PGWP. It really depends on the credit load of the course and ultimately the decision of the immigration officer in Canada issuing your PGWP. Some get only 2 years PGWP..while some get 3 years. Really nothing sure on this.

So, you can do consecutive two PG Diplomas to get 3 years work permit.
You can talk to him about this.

Another situation

1. Change of college or course:
As a post-secondary student
You may change your school, program and/or field of study without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
If you are changing your level of study (e.g., bachelor's to master's), you do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either.
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15)
Hence, legally, no one (and i add NO one..no matter what threat, intimidation or indirect delay/harassment the university my adopt.. but you have to stick to your decision and if thy still not budge, complain to higher authority) can prohibit you from changing university/college/program and joining ANY other recognized post secondary program (University or college). It's you right.

Hope I helped!!

Good luck

omi khan

Nov 5, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ankurkool17 said:
Once, I had the same problem and I asked tiger007 about the situtation and he told me

3. Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP):
If you do ANY single 2 academic years/ 4 semesters/minimum 16 months (where 1 sem=4 months so 4 sem=4X4=16 months) program, you will be eligible for the maximum 3 years PGWP.
If you do two different 1 academic year courses of minimum 2 semesters or 8 months long in same or different college, then you may or may not receive a 3 years PGWP. It really depends on the credit load of the course and ultimately the decision of the immigration officer in Canada issuing your PGWP. Some get only 2 years PGWP..while some get 3 years. Really nothing sure on this.

So, you can do consecutive two PG Diplomas to get 3 years work permit.
You can talk to him about this.

Another situation

1. Change of college or course:
As a post-secondary student
You may change your school, program and/or field of study without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
If you are changing your level of study (e.g., bachelor's to master's), you do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either.
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15)
Hence, legally, no one (and i add NO one..no matter what threat, intimidation or indirect delay/harassment the university my adopt.. but you have to stick to your decision and if thy still not budge, complain to higher authority) can prohibit you from changing university/college/program and joining ANY other recognized post secondary program (University or college). It's you right.

Hope I helped!!

Good luck
thanks bro...but do we need to inform immigration officers about the change of course for future?? mean to say when we apply for extension of study permit don't the immigration officers ask about the change of course that you came to canada on 1 year course and now u want to extend ur permit for another 1 year..

krunal6689

Star Member
Dec 16, 2017
Hello Friedns,
i have completed my masters in I.T from India in 2014 and after that i am working as a software developer, but now i want to go for specialization course in Big Data of 2 years in Lambton College and also thinking about to join Advance Project management in same college of 2 years,.
So my question is
1.How much chances of getting visa rejection?
2.will i get 3 years work permit?
Please clarify me in this.
and suggest me any course of 2 yrs of 1+1, which will lead to me for 3 years WP and Chances of getting PR after that

Ehiaghe

Oct 2, 2018
Hello,

I have some questions .
I intend to come do a 1 year course in Entertainment journalism in Centennial College and then move on to do a 1 year masters (same year I'm done with my diploma) in Carleton university.

My questions are :
1) how do I apply to extend my student visa so i can go on to start my masters program?
2) the fact that they are different schools, will it affect my visa process?
3) will 1 year diploma and 1 year Masters give me a 3 year post graduate work permit ?

Please your answers will be helpful.

Ehiaghe

Oct 2, 2018
Hello,

I have some questions .
I intend to come do a 1 year course in Entertainment journalism in Centennial College and then move on to do a 1 year masters (same year I'm done with my diploma) in Carleton university.

My questions are :
1) how do I apply to extend my student visa so i can go on to start my masters program?
2) the fact that they are different schools, will it affect my visa process?
3) will 1 year diploma and 1 year Masters give me a 3 year post graduate work permit ?

My masters will be done in Journalism also.

CornerLykio

Sep 19, 2018
Hi,

I have a similar question, but I want to ask about the gap between two programs. Specifically, I'm studying a 1-year PG program in Ontario and I want to take a PG Film course because it's my true passion. The problem is that I have been struggling to find PG Film Course which starts in Jan 2019 (all of them starts in Fall 2019)

So what is the sequence of the gap between the two programs? My current program will finish on the 21st Dec, while my next intended program will start in September 2019. Will this prevent me from getting a 3-year PGWP later?

Thank you

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hello,

I have some questions .

My questions are :
1) how do I apply to extend my student visa so i can go on to start my masters program? - You can extend your study permit by creating an account on the CIC website, filling up the study permit extension form and paying the processing fees.
2) the fact that they are different schools, will it affect my visa process? - No, it would not. Make sure to attached a SOP to your application.
3) will 1 year diploma and 1 year Masters give me a 3 year post graduate work permit ? - Yes, provided you do not violate any norms of your study permit (Eg: Work more than 20 hours week, take unscheduled breaks etc.)