+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents Required for Spouse Visitor Visa If spouse (Applicant) is student in Home country

navdeep300

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Hi All, I want to apply for visitor visa for my spouse. She is currently doing Phd in India. I am not sure which documents from her study or university to include that shows strong ties with India and that she would return to complete her Phd. Please guide, how I can proceed with documents? Also, she is the only child of her parents. Currently she's living at my house (In-laws). Can it be included as a reason to return that she needs to take care of her Mother because her father is not present in India. As far as funds are concerned, she has some funds deposited in her bank account by her parents. Do I need to specify in the application that her parents provided those funds?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All, I want to apply for visitor visa for my spouse. She is currently doing Phd in India. I am not sure which documents from her study or university to include that shows strong ties with India and that she would return to complete her Phd. Please guide, how I can proceed with documents? Also, she is the only child of her parents. Currently she's living at my house (In-laws). Can it be included as a reason to return that she needs to take care of her Mother because her father is not present in India. As far as funds are concerned, she has some funds deposited in her bank account by her parents. Do I need to specify in the application that her parents provided those funds?

Thanks
What is your status in Canada? Ties to home country are proof of attendance at school (tuition paid, employment letter if doing research with approved leave). Her mother is not really a tie if you are PR/citizen because assumption will be that she will stay in Canada. Funds should be in her name. Since you are married, you can provide the funds.

navdeep300

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
What is your status in Canada? Ties to home country are proof of attendance at school (tuition paid, employment letter if doing research with approved leave). Her mother is not really a tie if you are PR/citizen because assumption will be that she will stay in Canada. Funds should be in her name. Since you are married, you can provide the funds.
I am a PR.

navdeep300

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
So have you started spousal sponsorship? If not, why?
We didn't get enough time to spend outside our house after marriage because I was sick and she had to attend her classes. I am not taking a chance with the sponsorship since we don't have enough after marriage pictures to show, just have few when we visited her house. So I am planning to go on a proper honeymoon this year and then apply for it.

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022

Thanks
In your invitation letter, you should mention these circumstances i.e. the reason she will return to India after some time. if the university can give your spouse a letter stating that he/she is still enrolled in PHD and has yet to complete the thesis that might help. Funds are not a concern since you can mention in the invitation that you will be paying for tickets and expenses when in Canada. Also make sure to have a return ticket the CBSA may ask it.