+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents required for spouse visa

vyas2535

Jul 11, 2014
Hi All,

I am an international student in Canada and completed my 1st semester. My spouse is in India and I want to apply for her spouse visa so what is the procedure and documents required? Please guide me.........

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
vyas2535 said:
Hi All,

I am an international student in Canada and completed my 1st semester. My spouse is in India and I want to apply for her spouse visa so what is the procedure and documents required? Please guide me.........
r u applying for just visitors visa or spousal open work permit?
u should use the respective forms and in addition proof of funding ,copy of ur marriage certificate ,copy of ur visa, passport,study permit etc, also it is a good idea to add ur spouses academic documents if they r good. there is no checklist for spouse u either use the visitors visa checklist or the work permit checklist. proof of funds is very important so follow this link also do not just show $4000 for ur spouse living expense show urs too.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp#doc3

cocoduro

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Why is it important to show spouses academic documents?
I am applying for my study permit along with my wife sowp.. she is a physiotherapist back home but she is currently in canada as a visitor.. does that apply to me too?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
cocoduro said:
Why is it important to show spouses academic documents?
I am applying for my study permit along with my wife sowp.. she is a physiotherapist back home but she is currently in canada as a visitor.. does that apply to me too?
well if ur applying for SOWP then spouses credentials will help ur case....provided they r good...meaning lets say ur spouse has good grades and has a good job this shows ur spouse is educated and can be productive. ur spouse already has a visitors permit getting SOWP is easy ....just one question is ur spouses visitors permit same duration as ur study permit? if yes then u dont need to but if u do its not a bad thing. again its not a requirement but good academics is not going to hinder ur case but will definitely help it.

vyas2535

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks,

But I am under SPP Program I am having GIC in Canada. Than also I have to show some extra funds for me?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
vyas2535 said:
Thanks,

But I am under SPP Program I am having GIC in Canada. Than also I have to show some extra funds for me?
well again its not a hard and fast rule....its upto u but funds are the most important thing for spouse visa from what I have seen. again this is my opinion . Just keep in mind spouse visa is one of the hardest to get visa.

vyas2535

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks Mead,

One more question please. When I applied for student I have just shown my fathers pension income for proof of funds. So now if I show some FD's, and LIC Surrender Value Statement is that will be ok? And normally how long it takes to get Spouse Visa. And as I am in Canada and my wife is in India do I have to submit the file here or she has to submit in India along with my necessary documents.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
vyas2535 said:
Thanks Mead,

One more question please. When I applied for student I have just shown my fathers pension income for proof of funds. So now if I show some FD's, and LIC Surrender Value Statement is that will be ok? And normally how long it takes to get Spouse Visa. And as I am in Canada and my wife is in India do I have to submit the file here or she has to submit in India along with my necessary documents.
I cannot tell u if FD or pension income documents would be enough thats ur call to make . u may add GIC and fee payment receipt too but again I am not sure if they will be accepted or not. at end of day u have to make ur case. my wife's visa came in 4 day in india paper application that was 2 years ago. if ur wife is in india and if ur using paper application u apply in india. applying online use indian address.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
vyas2535 said:
Paper application means to submit documents at VFS Office?
yes

cocoduro

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
mead said:
well if ur applying for SOWP then spouses credentials will help ur case....provided they r good...meaning lets say ur spouse has good grades and has a good job this shows ur spouse is educated and can be productive. ur spouse already has a visitors permit getting SOWP is easy ....just one question is ur spouses visitors permit same duration as ur study permit? if yes then u dont need to but if u do its not a bad thing. again its not a requirement but good academics is not going to hinder ur case but will definitely help it.
Thank you so much for the quick reply.. my wife’s visitor status expires in october but the visa is still valid until 2017!! I am applying for a 8 month program..