+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents needed for Landing

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Port Alice, British Columbia
Category........
FAM
Hi! I am getting my documents ready for my Landing next week. I have everything done and in a file except for #6!! Does this include me as a sponsored spouse?? I am retired and have been taking care of my elderly parents up till now. My retirement check it TINY (less than half of average amount) and I’ve spent most of my saved funds booking flight and other expenses! I do have credit cards to show I’m able to support myself but is that necessary since my husband is the supporting spouse? Sorry for all the questions but want things to go smoothly Thanks in advance!!
What Documentation to Bring
There are several documents you should have at the border with you. These are:

1. Confirmation of Permanent Residency for you and accompany family members
  2. Passports or travel documents for you and your accompanying family members
  3. 2 copies of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) B4 forms
  4. 2 copies of detailed list of personal and household items you have with you (You can use the CBSA B4A form)
  5. 2 copies of detailed list of personal and household items you will bring to Canada at a future date (You can use the CBSA B4A form). Items coming to Canada at a later date must all be listed for you to not pay tax or duty.
  6. Proof of funds to show that you can support yourself for the first 6 months. This can be recent
    bank statements.

vs28can

Dec 9, 2016
Hi! I am getting my documents ready for my Landing next week. I have everything done and in a file except for #6!! Does this include me as a sponsored spouse?? I am retired and have been taking care of my elderly parents up till now. My retirement check it TINY (less than half of average amount) and I’ve spent most of my saved funds booking flight and other expenses! I do have credit cards to show I’m able to support myself but is that necessary since my husband is the supporting spouse? Sorry for all the questions but want things to go smoothly Thanks in advance!!
What Documentation to Bring
There are several documents you should have at the border with you. These are:

1. Confirmation of Permanent Residency for you and accompany family members
  2. Passports or travel documents for you and your accompanying family members
  3. 2 copies of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) B4 forms
  4. 2 copies of detailed list of personal and household items you have with you (You can use the CBSA B4A form)
  5. 2 copies of detailed list of personal and household items you will bring to Canada at a future date (You can use the CBSA B4A form). Items coming to Canada at a later date must all be listed for you to not pay tax or duty.
  6. Proof of funds to show that you can support yourself for the first 6 months. This can be recent
    bank statements.
To be sure carry following for the both of you- latest bank statements (amount will matter for the sponsor mainly, but yours will show funds whatever you have), latest payslips (for whom so ever applicable), employment letter/certificate for your sposnsor, credit card statements, documents if you own property in any country.

As a sponsor your spouse should show that there are sufficient income of funds.

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Category........
FAM
Ok Thanks!! I’ll see if he can email me copy of his retirement checks. He is drawing all his pensions and I am drawing mine (albeit small) it’s enough for us to acquire a mortgage combined so should suffice! Wish they would be more specific in instructions!! Like say if you’re a sponsored spouse include proof of the sponsor’s income at border!!

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Category........
FAM
To be sure carry following for the both of you- latest bank statements (amount will matter for the sponsor mainly, but yours will show funds whatever you have), latest payslips (for whom so ever applicable), employment letter/certificate for your sposnsor, credit card statements, documents if you own property in any country.

As a sponsor your spouse should show that there are sufficient income of funds.
Hmmm.... just found this and is current as of March 2017..... here is the copy and paste and here is the link afterwards.

SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIPINCOME REQUIREMENT
It is a common misconception that there is a specific income requirement to be able to sponsor your spouse to Canada.

While you must meet a concrete requirement to sponsor almost any other family member, there is no such income requirement at all for spousal sponsorship applications.

The financial requirements for spousal sponsorship include:

• You must not be receiving welfare benefits from any province.
  • You must not be in bankruptcy proceedings, and previous bankruptcy claim must have been discharged
Both of these requirements must be met at the time you submit your spousal sponsorship application, but there is no specific length of time you need to wait before you can send the application in. In other words, you can submit your spousal sponsorship application the day after you stop receiving welfare benefits or your bankruptcy is discharged.

However, if you are receiving Employment Insurance benefits (unemployment) or disability benefits, you may still sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner as these benefits do not count as welfare.

In order to make the ability to sponsor your spouse accessible to people at all income levels, IRCC does not require that applicants earn any certain amount of money. They are also comparatively lenient about this requirement, as previous bankruptcy or receipt of welfare benefits do not normally reflect poorly on an application.

https://www.immigroup.com/news/income-requirement-canadian-spousal-and-other-family-sponsorship-applications

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Category........
FAM
Also found this on IRCC website

http
Who can become a sponsor
You can become a sponsor if you are:

• at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:
    • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative(s) become(s) a permanent resident.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;
  • can provide for the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring (and in some limited situations, that you meet the low-income cut-off).
Note: There is no low income cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships, unless a dependent child also has one or more dependent children of their own. If a dependent child you are sponsoring has one or more dependent children of their own, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application (see your checklist for more details).

s://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html

So it looks like as his spouse there is no min income requirement for him to sponsor me per the official IRCC website

Last edited:

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
So it looks like as his spouse there is no min income requirement for him to sponsor me per the official IRCC website
Correct. What you need to show as part of the application is a PLAN for how the sponsor will support you. If I understand your question correctly, it is about what you need to have with you at the border when you land to declare PR? If so, then no, you don't need any proof of funds for spousal sponsorship. What you do need is:

Original and copy CoPR (need to declare PR)
Passport (obviously!) - need to cross a border
List of 'goods accompanying' and another list of 'goods to follow' with rough values against each item (what you might get if you sold it) - Note that this does NOT have to be the 'official' B4 form, it can be a spreadsheet list, it is for CBSA to do the B4 form. Need for CBSA customs IF you are also 'landing as settler' at the same time as 'landing to declare PR'

That's it!

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Category........
FAM
Thanks! I was just confused as to what I needed to show them in reference to question 6. If as a sponsored spouse I don’t have to show anything fine.....My husband answered this question when he applied and was approved to sponsor me. I Land on Sept 1 and don’t want to be required to show anything for question 6 and not have it.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Some useful stuff here and actual 'landing reports'.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

It will be a breeze once you get to the front of the line. You will also need to give them a residential address in Canada if you want them to start off your PR card there and then.

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Category........
FAM
Where did you get the list of documents to show at the time of landing? I don't think #6 is valid as your sponsor has already been approved before COPR was issued. Anyways, I found this link detailing instructions for landing on Immigration website.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html
Hope this helps.
Hmmmm.... I’m 63 years old.... no vaccination record anywhere I can think of since I e been out of school over 40 years! I do however get my annual flu shot and have had shingles vac..... no children... just me.