+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Document translation questions

rimekim

Jan 6, 2010
Hi all,
I'm preparing my documents and as usual have a load of questions for the permanent resident application. I'm in Mexico and at this moment I have a few doubts regarding the translation of documents. The guide I have says the following:
"Do not send originals unless otherwise stated. Send notarized photocopies of all documents except the police certificates, which must be
originals. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals"

So here are my questions:
* For those documents where I need a translation, does it need to be notarized AND certified? Or any of the two will do?
* If I'm sending the notarized translations, do I also need to send a notarized copy of the original? Or a regular copy of the original will suffice?
* My passport has spanish, english and french captions. However, the responses are in spanish only. So, where it says "Nacionalidad/Nationality/Nationalité", the response is MEXICANA. And the dates are in the DD/MM/YYYY format. Should I also send a translation of the passport for this two details?

Thanks.

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
Hi Rimekin

It is much likely, unles the things had chaged that your application will be processed in Mexico City at the Canadina Embassy which is located in Polanco.

I am from Mexico too, and yes, all the documents need to be notarized, I did not translate anyone of them since the Canadian embassy accepts the documents in Spanish, I repat myself again, unless it has changed.

what you can do is write an email to them and specifically ask them for this particular issue, lets see what they have to say

Just for your information I did apply in 2005 and all my process was 2.5 years I got my Visa on Mar-May 2007, I ma in Canada since Sep 2007.

Buena suerte!!

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rimekim said:
Hi all,
I'm preparing my documents and as usual have a load of questions for the permanent resident application. I'm in Mexico and at this moment I have a few doubts regarding the translation of documents. The guide I have says the following:
"Do not send originals unless otherwise stated. Send notarized photocopies of all documents except the police certificates, which must be
originals. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals"

So here are my questions:
* For those documents where I need a translation, does it need to be notarized AND certified? Or any of the two will do?
Notarized is what CHC needs along with copy of originals

* If I'm sending the notarized translations, do I also need to send a notarized copy of the original? Or a regular copy of the original will suffice?
Regular copy of original will suffice

* My passport has spanish, english and french captions. However, the responses are in spanish only. So, where it says "Nacionalidad/Nationality/Nationalité", the response is MEXICANA. And the dates are in the DD/MM/YYYY format. Should I also send a translation of the passport for this two details?
DD/MM/YYYY format is not a problem. I am not sure about Nationality, it is bettr to be safe than soory so get your passport translated too.
Thanks.

rimekim

Jan 6, 2010
Thanks Ankit and Eduardo for the answers. I've already sent an email to CIC with these questions but I'm going to try calling them. I'm not sure how hard it will be to get a hold of them but I'll let you all know if I do and what they tell me.

By the way, if anybody else reading this has any insights please share your thoughts.

rimekim

Jan 6, 2010
It just occurred to me. If I take my documents to a certified translator and then the translated copy to a Mexican notary, the notarization itself will be in spanish. Will that be a problem?

Kanata_10

Sep 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Rimekim,
I'm mexican too and what I did was to translate all the originals to english and get a notarized copy of all the originals as well except the 1st passport page. Reference letters and state police certificates must be originals with its corresponding translation.
Hope this help you.

rimekim

Jan 6, 2010
Thanks for your answer Kanata. Can you clarify a few things?:
* Were the translations also notarized? Or only the copies of the originals?
* For the passport page, you mean you didn't send a notarized copy? What did you send then?
* For everything that was notarized, I assume the legends of the notary where he confirms that everything is okay were in spanish. Am I correct?
* Did you already complete your process?

Kanata_10

Sep 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
- Translations are not notarized but are certified by a certified translator (perito traductor), originals are the only documents notariazed.

- The passport page, I just send a regular copy not notarized

- On the notarized legend you are right, is in spanish validating is copy of the original

I sent my full application on 15/12/09 to Mexico city Visa Office.