+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

document checklist: Record of Employment?

windofsun

Aug 31, 2009
Hi, there,

I notice that the document checklist, under section 6, it mentions "photocopies of T4 slips and recent notice of assessment and Record of Employment". I have not been able to find any information about requirements of "Record of Employment". Does anyone know what we need to provide? Many thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
A record of employment is something you get (and Revenue Canada gets) when you leave a job - its purpose is to determine your eligibility for unemployment benefits (can't remember the Canadian term for that at the moment). Your employer will not give you one while you are still working for them.

So, what to do if you're still working for your first and only employer in Canada, like me? :) Personally, I completely missed that part about the ROE, I assumed it meant the letter of employment that you get from your employer. Since I can't get an ROE anyway... Might be worth a phone call to CIC just to be certain.

Anyone else?

windofsun

Aug 31, 2009
Hi, there, jes_ON. Thank you for answering my question so quickly.
I thought the original reference letters would be sufficient as they included the detail of my employment. However, I can also attach my offer letter just in case.
It is interesting that when I phoned CIC (call centre in Canada). The first time the agent was not sure so told me to include pay cheque stubs and offer letters, and then asked me to not include them. The second time another agent was more "straightforward" by directly telling me that CIC centre agents did not receive the related training so they could not answer any questions regarding CEC or any program application processed outside Canada. I was asked to contact Visa office in Buffalo instead...Therefore, I now kind of doubt if I should trust clarifications from the CIC agents since I sometimes get different answers for the same question from different agents (yes, I usually ask two agents the same question if it is a tricky one)...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Right.

You can try sending a general inquiry by email to CIC Buffalo, but you have to be careful to phrase it as a very generic question - no "in my case", no first person language, or they will avoid answering by saying they don't answer case-specific questions. Even tho it is a generic question, 9 times out of 10 they will refuse to answer...

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
windofsun said:
Hi, there,

I notice that the document checklist, under section 6, it mentions "photocopies of T4 slips and recent notice of assessment and Record of Employment". I have not been able to find any information about requirements of "Record of Employment". Does anyone know what we need to provide? Many thanks!
Hi,

If you are claiming work experience on a job you've left, including a Record of Employment (ROE) is a sure way to prove that you worked the necessary time to qualify for CEC.

However, if you've had only one employer in Canada and you're still working with that employer, there is no need of sending a ROE to CIC. I don't think it should consume a lot of your time.....just focus on having recent copies of your T4 slips, Notice of Assessment, a complete letter of reference, your offer letter (could add more details, but make sure it's contents do not contradict those in the letter of reference) and your work permit. These documents should be enough to prove your work experience.

Essat

lewesadam

Aug 5, 2010
Hi, Essat,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I have prepared all the documents that you mentioned. I have had only one full-time job after graduation so far. However, I will be completing my current job in mid-Sep (the contract ends) right after I submit my CEC application. In that case, do I need to ask my company for ROE (since I probably won't be working at the company when the Visa office starts to process my application)?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Here's some info -

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001143

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
lewesadam said:
Hi, Essat,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I have prepared all the documents that you mentioned. I have had only one full-time job after graduation so far. However, I will be completing my current job in mid-Sep (the contract ends) right after I submit my CEC application. In that case, do I need to ask my company for ROE (since I probably won't be working at the company when the Visa office starts to process my application)?
You may ask your company for the ROE for your own record purposes, but not for submission to CIC since you will have submitted your application by the time you receive the ROE. In any case, your company must complete the ROE and send it to Service Canada even if you do not intend to apply for EI benefits so you may as well ask for a copy. You never know when you may need it.

Again, note that ROE is only required by CIC for previous employers not current employers. At the time of your application, you will have only one current employer so CIC will not expect you to submit a ROE. This fact is not clarified in the CEC guide nor OP 25 but it is well explained in the Live-in Caregiver program where CIC asks for a lot more documentation to prove work experience.

Essat

windofsun

Aug 31, 2009
Hi, jes_ON and Essat, I appreciate all your info which is really helpful.
I have a last question about ROE - do I need to provide ROE for my intern/co-op completed before my graduation? It seems that I have never received ROE after I completed my intern...However, I am not sure if I need that as intern/co-op does not account for the 1 year full-time work experience.
Thanks again!

gwpower

Mar 23, 2010
A quick question about ROE:

While in school, I worked for this company PART TIME, and had to leave temporarily for reasons. I remember being given an ROE. I joined the same company FULL TIME after getting my Post Grad Work Permit and has been there since.

Do I essentially need to attach that ROE with my CEC application? Its dated Aug 2008. Since I know tht work does not add experience for CEC, can I safely skip it?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I personally think you need to account for all your work experience in the past 3 years, whether or not it "qualifies", and therefore, yes, include the ROE. Unless, the problem is you no longer have it...? If that is the case, suggest that in the letter of employment, have your employer cover that bit as well...

BTW - gwpower, can't reply to your PM because your inbox is full...

aiko

Aug 18, 2010
hi,
I am working with second employer. how do I get the record of employment? do i go the service canada or the my previous employer? once I asked for ROE from my employer but HR person from my previous employer told me that ROE is only issued to apply for EI. so how do I get that? any suggestion

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Your employer is REQUIRED to submit an ROE to Service Canada and to give you a copy if it is submitted on paper. If they submit the ROE electronically, you can request a copy from Service Canada. Duplicates can also be obtained from Service Canada.

What is a Record of Employment (ROE)?
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001143

How to request a copy of a Record of Employment (ROE)
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/faq/faq_roe_duplicate.shtml

TheHal

Star Member
Sep 21, 2010
London/St. Thomas for now...
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss -->Buff -->Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Med's Done....
26-10-2010
Interview........
none so far...
Passport Req..
03-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 6th
LANDED..........
Will land 06 june
Godblesswife said:
Hi all, I dont belong to this thread, But I Just Popped in to say Happy Thanksgiving.

This wait must end one day soon.

Heres to the Future with our Loved ones .

Happy Thanksgiving

Godbless
Not Helping by replying in EVERY thread on the forum...

Anyway,
If you don't have the ROE you can apply for one via fax to New Brunswick. I did, it only took 2 weeks IIRC.

Now that I don't need it...

Cheers
H.

Jennnn11

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-12-2020
Hi there. I am applying for spousal sponsorship and regarding my ROE it states that I quit/return to school but I wasn’t able to do that, plus I was employed at the same company (I quit then after 6 months I got my job back). Should I include my ROE or the letter of reference and T4 slips are already good enough, because I suppose I have the same employer and same job.