+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DOB is in an incomplete format

Giladyavne

Aug 16, 2016
Hi guys,

It's not really about immigration to Canada, rather to Portugal. But since you guys really helped me before (I am a Canadian), I find this forum as one place where I can ask this question. You are probably not familiar with the process in Portugal, but just in general, you might know what to do.

My grandmother (who is not a Canadian) is applying for a Portuguese citizenship. In every document she has (including passport), the date of birth is incomplete - 00/00/1938. In her country, they cannot issue a criminal record without a month/day, so they wrote 01/01/1938 instead, which is the default option.

How do you think it is going to affect her application process? I mean, if they see that all document show 00/00/1938, and the criminal record itself has the same exact details as in other documents only with a different DOB, will they accept it?

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Gilad

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Why not ask directly?

Embassy of Portugal
Address: 645 Island Park Dr, Ottawa, ON K1Y 0B8
Phone:(613) 729-0883

Giladyavne

Aug 16, 2016
foodie69 said:
Why not ask directly?

Embassy of Portugal
Address: 645 Island Park Dr, Ottawa, ON K1Y 0B8
Phone:(613) 729-0883
Hi foodie69,

That's the first thing I did. They told me they're willing to accept the documents, but warned that it's not up to them to approve, as the Conservatoria in Portugal might refuse, and that could be the problem.
I think the best thing to do is to add a letter explaining the situation, after all the information is same and only the DOB is different in the Police Record due to the fact that they cannot issue a certificate with zeros in it, but the embassy can't say if it will be accepted.

Portugal is not Canada and I get that, but has anyone faced this problem applying for a Canadaian citizenship? What were you asked to do? Were you required to change your DOB so it will be in full format?

Thanks.

Regards,
Gilad