+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you think there's any chance that Canada might restrict the volume of immigration into the country by the end of this decade? more info given below

D

Deleted member 1050918

You don't think the immigration policies would change substantially in the next few years, do you ? Not at least till 2027,right?
Nobody can know. 5 years is a long time. Regardless, as someone in compsci/software with a good master's degree from the UK, you're among the last to worry about it. You already have a good amount of work experience, I doubt you need to wait 5 years to apply. In fact, if you happen to stay in the UK for the next 5 years, I doubt you'll want to move to Canada after 5 years since you'll have an established life there in the UK.

May 18, 2022
Nobody can know. 5 years is a long time. Regardless, as someone in compsci/software with a good master's degree from the UK, you're among the last to worry about it. You already have a good amount of work experience, I doubt you need to wait 5 years to apply. In fact, if you happen to stay in the UK for the next 5 years, I doubt you'll want to move to Canada after 5 years since you'll have an established life there in the UK.
Mmm...do you mean to say that the likelihood of the goverment imposing restrictions on the immigration of software developers is kinda slim?

If I were to use my data analyst experience, what documents would I need to prove it? Will a reference letter from my ex employer suffice? I don't think I would be able to find any salary slips now. It's been years since I left that job.

D

Deleted member 1050918

Mmm...do you mean to say that the likelihood of the goverment imposing restrictions on the immigration of software developers is kinda slim?
No, but compsci/software is an in-demand field so if there are things like NOC-based draws in the future, you may be on the better side of it. You're too hung up on "government imposing restrictions". You need to face realities and plan accordingly. Despite the liberal party's increased immigration levels, it is no surprise that Canada will be reducing the quota for skilled immigration. In fact, they already did. 50% of FSW's quota is transferred to other streams, although temporarily. This gives out a message telling you that FSW is the first to be chopped up if things change. In my opinion, not acting now and trying to figure out what would happen half a decade later is a bad plan.

If I were to use my data analyst experience, what documents would I need to prove it? Will a reference letter from my ex employer suffice? I don't think I would be able to find any salary slips now. It's been years since I left that job.
Gonna have to do your homework (easy homework though, look at IRCC's website, it's all there), but typically you need to provide a work reference letter. The appropriate format of the letter and what IRCC wants to see on it is again on IRCC's website. Google it and you'll find it on IRCC's website.

You don't have to select data analyst as your primary NOC, you can select the other one too (given that it's NOC 0, A or B and you have completed 1560 hours in it).

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I would like to get some more work experience in software engineering in the UK. I am given to understand that prior work experience in a western country will go a long way towards landing good jobs in canada. Also, there are some other person affairs that I have to take care of before I immigrate to Canada. So, I reckon I'll finally be able to apply by 2027(i will turn 30 in November of that year).

I hope Canada's immigration policies and the public's views on it don't radically change by then.
it is kinda hard to buy what you are saying i.e. getting more experience before applying given that all one needs is 3 years of experience to get maximum points. I feel you want to get British Permanent Residency/citizenship before moving to Canada and you would probably be getting eligible for that by 2027. hence you are fixated on that particular year. Is this right?

May 18, 2022
it is kinda hard to buy what you are saying i.e. getting more experience before applying given that all one needs is 3 years of experience to get maximum points. I feel you want to get British Permanent Residency/citizenship before moving to Canada and you would probably be getting eligible for that by 2027. hence you are fixated on that particular year. Is this right?
Not really. That's the year when I will have to extend my work visa. I actually don't see myself settling in the UK. I have always wanted to live in a country like Canada or the US. The only reason I am in the UK is because most of the global top 50 universities are in this country and my uk visa would go to waste if I move to Canada now. Plus, I'd like to get some more work experience before I start searching for jobs all over again in canada.