+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you need to make an oath to the Queen for the PR?

americanadian

Mar 3, 2011
I don't want to get citizenship because I hate the queen and don't want to make an oath to that wrinkly old hag. Do you need to make an oath to her for PR?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
americanadian said:
I don't want to get citizenship because I hate the queen and don't want to make an oath to that wrinkly old hag. Do you need to make an oath to her for PR?
Weren't you the american yankee coming here as international student? I like your sense of humor about oath ceremony

americanadian

Mar 3, 2011
newtone said:
Weren't you the american yankee coming here as international student? I like your sense of humor about oath ceremony
Haha yes :)

Got nothing wrong with the sweet old lady really. I'm going to Halifax for school and I don't know after that, I would love to stay in Canada with a work permit under 'Canadian Experience' from getting a degree there but will apply to jobs in both the States and Canada. I'm shady on the process but from what I remember after a couple years on the work permit I could apply for permanent residence.

Honestly I have nothing against the Brits, or (obviously) Canada, I just don't personally believe that power should be determined purely on your bloodline, and I think Canada should move on from Her majesty. You can be proud of your history without being on a leash.

americanadian

Mar 3, 2011
Oh, looking into it, I guess after I graduate I would apply for a work permit, and then after a year I can then apply for Permanent Residence under the great excuse 'Canadian Experience', whatever the hell that is ;D

Anyway, it is a great pleasure of mine to find out my country's 'Founding Fathers' won't beat the shit out of me when I show up in hell for pledging allegiance to that old sandbag they call a queen. Put a crown on my girlfriends miniature poodle and it would make a better excuse for a leader... ;)

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think Canadians give the rats ass about the queen anyway, besides its just ceremonial purpose only. But unlike americans we like to preserve our history. Having said that its very unfortunate (in ontario atleast) they axed grade 13, so you only need 12 years of education and then University . This one year makes a huge difference in the maturity of students, now you have a bunch of idiots coming into 1st year university thinking they own the world.
Sadly many of my american friends who transfered to Canadian Universities find it extremely challenging cause the standard of Education is much higher here. Either ways good luck with the education, hopefully you could do better.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some people really like the queen. She came to Edmonton once, it was raining buckets but a lot of people still came to the stadium to see her. I think it is probably more the old people who like her and the young people who couldn't care less.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Queen of Canada acts as a personification of Canada. Crown prosecutors bring criminal charges in the sovereign's name, and people who need to sue Canada frequently sue the Queen in right of Canada. (In the United States, charges are usually brought in the name of the people of the state/commonwealth of whatever, and officeholders are usually sued directly, e.g., Marbury v. Madison or Hamdan v. Rumsfeld.) Her powers are largely ceremonial, and what powers she (or her representative, the Governor General) does have are largely exercised by refusing to do something that the government requests. However, that usually precipitates a constitutional crisis (which is probably why the Governor General didn't make a fuss either time the Prime Minister asked for a prorogation of the 40th Parliament).

For full-fledged constitutional crises, you'll have to go back to the King–Byng Affair or the 1975 crisis in Australia, which had a TV miniseries made about it.

The sovereign and viceregal representatives are supposed to be staunchly apolitical. Allowing politics to get too deep into the basic workings of the country is a recipe for disaster.

americanadian

Mar 3, 2011
newtone said:
But unlike americans we like to preserve our history.
You can preserve your history without wearing a leash. I'd also like to know of an example where Americans don't preserve their history. It seems like you have a bit of a negative feeling for Americans. I for one am proud we stood up to England and beat the best military in the world (at the time) with a bunch of rag-tag, drunk separatists who were sick of being bent over by the King. What is Canada proud of with bending over and taking it in the butt from a guy who wanted to rule the world?

newtone said:
Sadly many of my american friends who transfered to Canadian Universities find it extremely challenging cause the standard of Education is much higher here.
I would agree with you that the American standard of education is pretty poor. I think it comes with the fact that teachers are paid dirt, so there is no incentive for the smart Americans to become teachers and pass on their knowledge. They all become engineers and doctors and lawyers. But even more of it can be blamed on the way we raise kids here in America and don't emphasize a quality education anymore. America will have to change their policy on presidents being American born someday, because we are running out of people who are smart enough to not just say "nuke the bastards" whenever they see a Muslim.

Leon said:
I think it is probably more the old people who like her and the young people who couldn't care less.
I agree and I can see Canada making a push away from their ties to the Monarchy in Britain when she passes away and the idiot Charles takes over. There is a difference between a sweet old lady and a jerk who treated his amazing wife like garbage. And you make a good point, I think younger Canadians are (and will be) proud of Canada for what they are now, not what they were 200 years ago.

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am American and have been here for almost 3 years now, which means that I will be applying for Canadian citizenship later this year. At first, I was not really sure what to think about the monarchy and I felt, as an American, it was somehow unnatural to support a queen. Also, I live in Quebec, where support for the monarchy tends to be much lower than in the rest of Canada. So, I decided that I would remain on the fence until one deciding factor pushed me in one direction or the other.

Then I started following Michaelle Jean when she was Governor General and became very impressed with the way she handled the earthquake in Haiti. She really was the compassionate face of Canada and as a Haitian herself, she showed her ability to make people in that country begin feeling good about themselves again after that horrible tragedy. I think she did really great things for Haiti and in doing so, also enhanced Canada's prestige at home and abroad. She was the embodiment of everything Canada stands for: Unlimited opportunity for immigrants, bilingualism, multiculturalism, human rights and humanitarian work. Canada could not have had a better Governor General.

The monarchy also stands for other things, like 800 years of British common law, the bi-cameral legislature, and fair representation in government (Americans say that Britain imposed taxation without representation, but in fact, at the time of the revolution, the system was evolving as quickly as it could and even in Britain proper there were still rotten boroughs and pocket boroughs where representation was lopsided due to corrupt, controlling land owners). Also, if the US had stayed within the British empire, slavery would have been abolished about 30 years earlier. Britain outlawed slavery in the Empire in 1833. This would have saved the lives of 200,000 men who died in the Civil War.

So, I have slowly become a supporter of the monarchy in Canada. The fact is, a majority of Canadians want to remain within the British commonwealth and if this ever changes, I am fairly certain that British soldiers will not be landing in Newfoundland to keep us in the fold. Both countries are democracies and if Canada ever wants to go, Britain will not have much to say about it. And for people who say it's too expensive, I say it's cheaper than a war and just like the salaries of senators and congressmen, just like the upkeep of the Smithsonian or the Library of Congress, it is simply one of the costs of maintaining a government.

So there you have it. God save the Queen! ;D

E

emmagail

I'm Irish and I don't give a stuff about pledging allegience to the Queen.

Get over yourself and grow up.

Or wait till she is gone and Charles or William are running the shop

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon said:
I disagree, Leon. There is an obscure rule in the Citizenship Act that in order to become a citizen, you must kneel and kiss the ring finger of the Queen -- once for each wrinkle. And if you don't make the kisses convincing, you get UK citizenship instead of Canadian citizenship.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
I disagree, Leon. There is an obscure rule in the Citizenship Act that in order to become a citizen, you must kneel and kiss the ring finger of the Queen -- once for each wrinkle. And if you don't make the kisses convincing, you get UK citizenship instead of Canadian citizenship.
Link ?

:)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
No, actually you have to kiss her picture and you have to wear lipstick and get her right on the lips. If you miss her mouth by more than half, you will not get citizenship and if you miss entirely, you will be deported. However, that is for citizenship and in this case, he was only asking about PR so my first reply stands :)