+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you feel harassed by CIC because of the RQ?

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
@Lorris, yeap that is sad and it sucks.

I understand that the Canadian Government tries to avoid abuse, but it does so at the expense of honest people. I wouldn't be surprised that at least 90% of the RQs were handed without any justified, solid reasons like a missing stamp or a month or so trip outside Canada after applying for citizenship.

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
links18 said:
Well, that's just not true. Call Centre agent is either lying to you or doesn't know what they are talking about. There is no legal requirement to live in Canada while your application is pending. Of course, the fear of being subjected to outright harassment or losing PR status due to unreasonably long processing times means most people are effectively grounded.
Yes links18, I know there is no legal requirement. But as you mentioned, they will extend the time to review the application until you lose the PR.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inventov said:
You are also not told that if you apply for citizenship you are "grounded" to stay in Canada until you become a citizen.

I just spoke with an agent who told, I quote, "we don't give the citizenship to people who don't live in Canada" even if they met all the criteria at the time they applied. Why didn't they tell that in the guideline?
While this might be true administratively, it is not true legally under the current Act. There's been some hints that the CIC may suspend processing of applicants move out of Canada, but, as far as I know, there hasn't been any decisive documentation of this.

I'm pretty sure though that if an applicant was outside of Canada they would win a Mandamus appeal under the current Act as long as they maintained their PR (i.e. for the spouse of a Canadian citizenship).

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
inventov said:
Yes links18, I know there is no legal requirement. But as you mentioned, they will extend the time to review the application until you lose the PR.
I am curious if an otherwise qualified citizenship applicant could make a case that if not for CIC's unreasonable delays processing their application they would not have lost PR status--particularly if that applicant relied on CIC's published processing times at the time of application when they made a life decision to go abroad after filing for citizenship.

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
eileenf said:
While this might be true administratively, it is not true legally under the current Act. There's been some hints that the CIC may suspend processing of applicants move out of Canada, but, as far as I know, there hasn't been any decisive documentation of this.
I guess that if they do, it won't apply retro-actively...

eileenf said:
I'm pretty sure though that if an applicant was outside of Canada they would win a Mandamus appeal under the current Act as long as they maintained their PR (i.e. for the spouse of a Canadian citizenship).
This pretty much applies to me. I am a Canadian citizen, I am am planning to move to my wife's location to help her maintain the PR.

I hope I will not need to go with a Mandamus appeal, but if I have to and if I have the money to do it, I will.

Soopergal

Star Member
Apr 26, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I find the whole process to be inefficient and badly managed. Not well thought through. The government should be able to get most info i.e ohip, tax, border crossing info with a click of a button without asking me to send huge piles of paper. I'm shocked that the government think it's ok to take 36 months to process an application. In the private sector this sort of timelines are unthinkable.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Soopergal said:
I find the whole process to be inefficient and badly managed. Not well thought through. The government should be able to get most info i.e ohip, tax, border crossing info with a click of a button without asking me to send huge piles of paper. I'm shocked that the government think it's ok to take 36 months to process an application. In the private sector this sort of timelines are unthinkable.
There are rumours that the long processing times are deliberate. First, it allows CIC to catch people who file for citizenship and then leave the country as these people risk losing PR. Second, it presents a political opportunity for the Cons to claim they will bring down processing times by passing their new legislation.

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
Soopergal said:
The government should be able to get most info i.e ohip, tax, border crossing info with a click of a button without asking me to send huge piles of paper
Exactly. If they want that info why not ask just for our consent and get it?

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
links18 said:
There are rumours that the long processing times are deliberate. First, it allows CIC to catch people who file for citizenship and then leave the country as these people risk losing PR. Second, it presents a political opportunity for the Cons to claim they will bring down processing times by passing their new legislation.
I don't think the first one is just a rumor. I think it's happening.

The new processing times will be shorter because due to the new systems at the border that will automatically record entries and exits and will sent if to the federal gov.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
inventov said:
I don't think the first one is just a rumor. I think it's happening.

The new processing times will be shorter because due to the new systems at the border that will automatically record entries and exits and will sent if to the federal gov.
I think its happening also, which means the Cons were able to create de facto new law by slowing down the process without going through Parliament. Now, they can claim to fix the problem by passing their new law.

Border records are often not accurate--no matter how much they automate it. I have entered Canada many times w/o being scanned. Heck, I have even forgotten my card at home and been allowed to pass showing a SSI card. Perhaps, those days will soon end.

flusty

Nov 6, 2010
...Some immigrants in Canada after obtaining their citizenship or Canadian passport... don't worry about their immigration documents eg landing papers, birth certificates, marriage certs, documents for name changes etc

For your info, the landing paper / certificate is still an important piece of document when you reach the age of 65 or when you start to apply for retirement benefits from govt... most immigrants wont get the full benefits package but immigrants work soo hard and deserve a fair share of thier sweat.... the authorities need to figure out how long you have been in the country and currently the only way they do that is by checking the landing paper which has the date that you entered into the country... value your documents people and keep it safe...keep your old passports etc of course if you were born here all this doesn't matter cos you have a birth cert...

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
flusty said:
...Some immigrants in Canada after obtaining their citizenship or Canadian passport... don't worry about their immigration documents eg landing papers, birth certificates, marriage certs, documents for name changes etc

For your info, the landing paper / certificate is still an important piece of document when you reach the age of 65 or when you start to apply for retirement benefits from govt... most immigrants wont get the full benefits package but immigrants work soo hard and deserve a fair share of thier sweat.... the authorities need to figure out how long you have been in the country and currently the only way they do that is by checking the landing paper which has the date that you entered into the country... value your documents people and keep it safe...keep your old passports etc of course if you were born here all this doesn't matter cos you have a birth cert...
I threw away the landing paper almost instantly, just to find out later that I need it. So, i had to ask for a replacement.

Now you say I need to keep it until retirement? WTF are we living in a digital era of stone age?

flusty

Nov 6, 2010
inventov said:
I threw away the landing paper almost instantly, just to find out later that I need it. So, i had to ask for a replacement.

Now you say I need to keep it until retirement? WTF are we living in a digital era of stone age?
Lol.... you dont have to if you dont want to...but after contributing to the big pie am sure you will want your fair share....These benefits may not be much esp for immigrants maybe $ 900 a month in total ? but it sure compliments whatever investments and savings towards your golden years and you worked for it... the authorities will have to figure out if you stayed out of the country for more than 6 months from when you landed till your retirement age....if you were away for more than 6 months, then it becomes tricky...Nothing should surprise you about documentation in Canada.... they wont play around since the pension involves giving you Canadian money....

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
inventov said:
I certainly do.

I spent tens of hours trying to collect the information CIC requests for. I spent hundreds of dollars on translating good damn stamps. I argued with my bank to waive the fees on printing statements for the last 4 years. It's ridiculous.

You obey the law, you pay your taxes, you are honest with the government when you apply for Citizenship and this is how you're being treated?

Quote from Discover Canada booklet: "Our judicial system is founded on the presumption of innocence in criminal matters, meaning everyone is innocent until proven guilty."

BULLS..T!

Those who received the RQ are treated as criminals who have to prove their innocence.

Is there a class action suit against this governmental bullying? This is not fair.
Noones placing a gun to your head...if u cant follow the rules,ship out!

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Soopergal said:
The government should be able to get most info i.e ohip, tax, border crossing info with a click of a button without asking me to send huge piles of paper. I'm shocked that the government think it's ok to take 36 months to process an application. In the private sector this sort of timelines are unthinkable.
If that were to happen people would be all up in arms suing the government for invading their privacy and screaming that the Canadian government is an Orwellian Big Brother who knows every single move they make.

Personally, I got an RQ, it was a bit of a pain in the behind but I collected all the papers and send them, that was in November, and I am scheduled to have my test a week from Tuesday...and no, I did not feel harassed, CIC checked my background with the RCMP and CSIS and many other agencies like they do with everybody else.