+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we really need to do it this way?

Mar 16, 2018
Hey guy's my name is vania I have 28 years old and live in Mexico, this year I went to visit my family and friend's in Vancouver as a tourist for almost 9 month's (with legal status by extention) after 17 years of not being there.

The thing is I used to live there when I was little due to my parents working visa but they never applied for the citizenship.

So when I went to visit I started a relationship with a Canadian 5 months before leaving. I'm not really into marrage and now I'm back in my hometown cause I was required back to work. I applied for work visa but got rejected cause my career is only for my country (social journalist) and they aren't hiring. I don't want to marry my boyfriend yet. They say I have to live one year with him in order for him to sponsor me, that's a bit unfare cause if I go as a tourist again I will be let go from my work here and Vancouver is so expensive plus I won't be able to work ( from what I understand) and a year just living from my boyfriend and extentions is not the way I saw this going.

I don't know what to do and I really want to be with him.

Now we chat every single day I already met his entire family and he's coming to Mexico for my birthday. This is serious but I really don't believe in marrage.

Help!

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
Hey guy's my name is vania I have 28 years old and live in Mexico, this year I went to visit my family and friend's in Vancouver as a tourist for almost 9 month's (with legal status by extention) after 17 years of not being there.

The thing is I used to live there when I was little due to my parents working visa but they never applied for the citizenship.

So when I went to visit I started a relationship with a Canadian 5 months before leaving. I'm not really into marrage and now I'm back in my hometown cause I was required back to work. I applied for work visa but got rejected cause my career is only for my country (social journalist) and they aren't hiring. I don't want to marry my boyfriend yet. They say I have to live one year with him in order for him to sponsor me, that's a bit unfare cause if I go as a tourist again I will be let go from my work here and Vancouver is so expensive plus I won't be able to work ( from what I understand) and a year just living from my boyfriend and extentions is not the way I saw this going.

I don't know what to do and I really want to be with him.

Now we chat every single day I already met his entire family and he's coming to Mexico for my birthday. This is serious but I really don't believe in marrage.

Help!
You'll have to make a choice here. If you want to be with your boyfriend you'll have to either get married, live with him for a year on a visitor visa (and can prove it) or find a way to come to Canada with work. Can you study in Canada? Are you eligible for a working holiday visa?

Mar 16, 2018
You'll have to make a choice here. If you want to be with your boyfriend you'll have to either get married, live with him for a year on a visitor visa (and can prove it) or find a way to come to Canada with work. Can you study in Canada? Are you eligible for a working holiday visa?

I haven't checked that yet I was planning on only studying a language like French since I have English already, that would give me the opportunity to study 20 hours a week and get the residency by points I guess.

I tried with my career and they said I still needed experience in cbc and ctv nevertheless I guess I'll just have to keep sending my resume to all types of media there.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I haven't checked that yet I was planning on only studying a language like French since I have English already, that would give me the opportunity to study 20 hours a week and get the residency by points I guess.

I tried with my career and they said I still needed experience in cbc and ctv nevertheless I guess I'll just have to keep sending my resume to all types of media there.
Note that as your profession does not fall under NAFTA, any employer in Canada wanting to hire you will need an LMIA. It costs the employer $1000, there are very strict requirements they need to meet and it takes months to process, so chances are quite low.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

There's a very high rate of refusals for study permit to take French or English language programs. Too many people have used this as an excuse to try to come to Canada when they weren't really genuine students. Also - often these programs are six months or less which means you don't qualify to work while you are studying.

If you want to go the study permit route - pick a diploma or degree program that is at least 8 months long and that makes sense in light of your previous education and work experience. Forget about taking a language program.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

What do you mean by "residency by points"? If you're referring applying for PR in an economic stream, then you need to have relevant education and skilled work experience in a qualifying category to be able to apply.

As mentioned getting an employer willing to go through expensive and complex LMIA process to hire a foreigner, is incredibly hard since it's so much easier for them to simply hire a Canadian or PR. You'd need to have exceptional skills that are in high demand, or in a job where Canadian/PRs are lacking to do it.

Other than this, the only way for your partner to sponsor you is to get married or live together anywhere in the world for 12 months. There are no other options here. Note that conjugal is definitely not possible in your case since there are no legal barriers to marriage or common-law.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
Seriously, I don't get the aversion to getting married. You're willing to move to another country to live with your partner (I'm presuming you intend for this to be a long term/lifetime thing), but you are not willing to marry them so you can be together.

It's very simple. If you want to be together and can't do it by other means then get married.

Sebeck

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
You don't have to get married... as Rob_TO noted, you can just live together for 12 months minimum, anywhere, to be classified common law partners. Can he go on sabbatical from work for a year and live with you in Mexico? Even if you got married you'd have to be able to prove the relationship was genuine (not a marriage of convenience). So start retaining your emails, messages, photos etc.