+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we really have to pay PGWP holder fee (100) again for PGWP extensions?

prospectiveab

Star Member
Jul 19, 2020
My understanding is we're exempt from paying that fee. However, IRCC keeps asking me to pay the fee again and marking my PGWP extension application as incomplete.

I got my PGWP last October and I am applying for an extension after renewing my passport, because the one I used was expiring later this year.

Please don't delete my thread.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My understanding is we're exempt from paying that fee. However, IRCC keeps asking me to pay the fee again and marking my PGWP extension application as incomplete.

I got my PGWP last October and I am applying for an extension after renewing my passport, because the one I used was expiring later this year.

Please don't delete my thread.
Don’t you have to apply by paper for PGWP extension. Don’t see anything about fees being waived.

If you need to extend your PGWP or change its conditions
You must apply on paper if you’re extending or changing the conditions of your PGWP. You can only extend your PGWP if your passport expired before your PGWP’s validity period.

If you had to renew your passport
You can extend your PGWP with your new passport only if

• you were eligible for a PGWP but
  • you didn’t get the full length because your passport was going to expire
Include this information in a letter of explanation when you apply to extend your PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#extend

Reactions: prospectiveab

prospectiveab

Star Member
Jul 19, 2020
Don’t you have to apply by paper for PGWP extension. Don’t see anything about fees being waived.

If you need to extend your PGWP or change its conditions
You must apply on paper if you’re extending or changing the conditions of your PGWP. You can only extend your PGWP if your passport expired before your PGWP’s validity period.

If you had to renew your passport
You can extend your PGWP with your new passport only if

• you were eligible for a PGWP but
  • you didn’t get the full length because your passport was going to expire
Include this information in a letter of explanation when you apply to extend your PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#extend
Thanks, that's what I did in my paper application, I included a letter saying I didn't get the full PGWP length.

I'll pay the fee and apply for a refund later. AFAIK everybody says you don't have to pay the open work permit holder fee ($100) more than once, maybe that has changed.

> Don’t see anything about fees being waived.

See here https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp

prospectiveab

Star Member
Jul 19, 2020
I think I might be confusing my case with the recent special OWP introduced for international students, those clearly don't have to pay that fee.