+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we have to be in front of the screen all the time for the online oath ceremony?

mangojuice

Nov 23, 2021
So are you saying that becoming a 'Canadian Citizen' is not classed as 'necessary time off'? I'm intrigued....look tell her to take a few hours off 2.5hrs at most and make it up. Work life balance remember and the work won't pay her any extra for her dedication...well unless she's on a bonus scheme
I believe I misunderstood what yyzstudent meant by "penalty" when yyzstudent were replying earlier.

I assume, what yyzstudent were saying is, my wife can take time off for the ceremony and it won't count against her PTO.

Last edited:

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
I think to start your wife should speak to HR or their direct Mgr and ask for 3 hrs to attend the virtual ceremony, what kinda of company do you work for that will not grant it? does she have an ERC or CG at work for example my company has a CG = Community group called #immigrants. and we get time off to do this virtually but if its in person we will allow them to use a vacation day, or take a future paid stat day off and still pay 2.5x pay on that day.

But it is per the company and their policies, In Alberta, Canada, there are no specific laws that guarantee time off work without penalty for citizenship ceremonies. However, in Canada, federal law grants employees certain rights and protections related to time off work for specific purposes, such as voting in federal elections. While citizenship ceremonies are not explicitly mentioned in federal legislation, some employers may have policies or agreements in place that allow employees to attend such ceremonies without penalty.

Good luck to her, I would suggest making sure she is online and ready for her ceremony or just taking the day off n be done with it since her company sounds horrible and have no regard for work-life balance. ( but just my 2cent)

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

mangojuice

Nov 23, 2021
I think to start your wife should speak to HR or their direct Mgr and ask for 3 hrs to attend the virtual ceremony, what kinda of company do you work for that will not grant it? does she have an ERC or CG at work for example my company has a CG = Community group called #immigrants. and we get time off to do this virtually but if its in person we will allow them to use a vacation day, or take a future paid stat day off and still pay 2.5x pay on that day.

But it is per the company and their policies, In Alberta, Canada, there are no specific laws that guarantee time off work without penalty for citizenship ceremonies. However, in Canada, federal law grants employees certain rights and protections related to time off work for specific purposes, such as voting in federal elections. While citizenship ceremonies are not explicitly mentioned in federal legislation, some employers may have policies or agreements in place that allow employees to attend such ceremonies without penalty.

Good luck to her, I would suggest making sure she is online and ready for her ceremony or just taking the day off n be done with it since her company sounds horrible and have no regard for work-life balance. ( but just my 2cent)
I never said that her employer is not allowing her to take the time off. Her employer will let her take time off for any reason, including for the ceremony. Sorry for the confusion,

My wife just want to save her PTO whenever possible. If it’s possible for her to keep WFH during the ceremony, she’d rather do that and save her PTO for other purposes.

BTW, Alberta does have unpaid leave law for attending the ceremony.https://www.alberta.ca/citizenship-ceremony-leave.aspx

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I never said that her employer is not allowing her to take the time off. Her employer will let her take time off for any reason, including for the ceremony. Sorry for the confusion,

My wife just want to save her PTO whenever possible. If it’s possible for her to keep WFH during the ceremony, she’d rather do that and save her PTO for other purposes.

BTW, Alberta does have unpaid leave law for attending the ceremony.https://www.alberta.ca/citizenship-ceremony-leave.aspx
I guess it's personal choice. She doesn't think getting her Canadian citizenship is important enough to take half a day off and celebrate after.
I think attending this once in a life time (even though virtually) ceremony should be important to anyone. And being there with her full attention would show some respect to Canada and the judge. (getting coffee/a glass of water/bathroom break in the middle is one thing but working... is another)

My husband took the whole day off and we had a nice dinner after the ceremony to celebrate.
(his job was hourly paid)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalboy1980

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other

Ohh sweet I learnt something new today about the leave in AB thanks so much good luck to you n her and congratulations on being done with IRCC

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
I guess it's personal choice. She doesn't think getting her Canadian citizenship is important enough to take half a day off and celebrate after.
I think attending this once in a life time (even though virtually) ceremony should be important to anyone. And being there with her full attention would show some respect to Canada and the judge. (getting coffee/a glass of water/bathroom break in the middle is one thing but working... in another)

My husband took the whole day off and we had a nice dinner after the ceremony to celebrate.
(his job was hourly paid)
I took the entire day off too, i got the update in the tracker May 30 and booked the full day of June 1 to be off for June 22 along with 6 of my friends n we will celebrate 3 of which became Canadian earlier this year Jan and Mar.

i agree once in a lifetime event i will not miss that for work, if i drop dead tmr they will fill that role in 30 days lol, i will enjoy my ceremony in all red and white with lots of wine n food

Reactions: YVR123

TalhaS

Nov 24, 2019
Can we anticipate the officer check-in, judge's speech, oath taking, and national anthem in advance? Meaning, we will know in advance the order of the whole ceremony and specifically when these 4 events will take place and therefore, we can time our decision to be away and in front of the screen in advance as well.

Much thx!
No, it is one lengthy Zoom session. Bluetooth headphones with a good range will help not being stuck behind the screen ;)