+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we have to be in front of the screen all the time for the online oath ceremony?

mangojuice

Nov 23, 2021
Hi all,
We have oath ceremony through zoom tomorrow and my wife is planning to work from home but I'm wondering if she can do that.

I'm thinking, we don't have to be in front of the screen all the time (and therefore, my wife can work in between) but I'm not 100% sure.

TIA!

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
One needs to be present during the officer check-in, judge's speech, oath taking, national anthem and optional if a photo with the judge is wished.

Depending on the office and officers it may vary. For example during my oath was pretty relaxed and I did get up to get a coffee (not on screen) and stretch my legs..

mangojuice

Nov 23, 2021
One needs to be present during the officer check-in, judge's speech, oath taking, national anthem and optional if a photo with the judge is wished.

Depending on the office and officers it may vary. For example during my oath was pretty relaxed and I did get up to get a coffee (not on screen) and stretch my legs..
Do you think it's feasible if my wife wants to work/away for sometime in between the ceremony?

Not sure if it's OK if I call her to be present when the time come also not sure what the officer/judge will think if she's not there but come a few min late.

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
Do you think it's feasible if my wife wants to work/away for sometime in between the ceremony?

Not sure if it's OK if I call her to be present when the time come also not sure what the officer/judge will think if she's not there but come a few min late.
To be honest I don't that she should do that. It is an important step of her citizenship journey and her employer will understand if she has to take 2 hours off from work.

Reactions: lr108

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015

Labour law says she has the right to take 4 hours off from work to attend citizenship ceremony without penalty. Her boss can not refuse it.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023

Stretch legs?! Wondering how long the ceremony is usually?

mangojuice

Nov 23, 2021
Labour law says she has the right to take 4 hours off from work to attend citizenship ceremony without penalty. Her boss can not refuse it.
Her boss will not refuse it, but, she wants to preserve her time off (which is not a lot to begin with) from the office as much as possible and only take the time off if she really need it.

TalhaS

Nov 24, 2019
I WFH and my oath was scheduled for 3:30 PM and wrapped up at 5:30 PM. I did not but I easily could have worked through it. As johnyrose mentioned, "officer check-in, judge's speech, oath taking [and] national anthem" are the only pieces during which you have to be engaged in. The major portion of time spent outside of those actively engaged parts is waiting for others to go through their officer check-in. You are free to turn off your camera and (should) mute your mic. So my guess would be 15 min officer check in and 20 min for judge's speech, oath taking and national anthem are the only pieces to pause work for.
I would make sure your wife doesn't have work meetings scheduled during the 3-ish hour oath ceremony time slot.

Reactions: johnyrose

mangojuice

Nov 23, 2021
I WFH and my oath was scheduled for 3:30 PM and wrapped up at 5:30 PM. I did not but I easily could have worked through it. As johnyrose mentioned, "officer check-in, judge's speech, oath taking [and] national anthem" are the only pieces during which you have to be engaged in. The major portion of time spent outside of those actively engaged parts is waiting for others to go through their officer check-in. You are free to turn off your camera and (should) mute your mic. So my guess would be 15 min officer check in and 20 min for judge's speech, oath taking and national anthem are the only pieces to pause work for.
I would make sure your wife doesn't have work meetings scheduled during the 3-ish hour oath ceremony time slot.
Can we anticipate the officer check-in, judge's speech, oath taking, and national anthem in advance? Meaning, we will know in advance the order of the whole ceremony and specifically when these 4 events will take place and therefore, we can time our decision to be away and in front of the screen in advance as well.

Much thx!

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Her boss will not refuse it, but, she wants to preserve her time off (which is not a lot to begin with) from the office as much as possible and only take the time off if she really need it.
So are you saying that becoming a 'Canadian Citizen' is not classed as 'necessary time off'? I'm intrigued....look tell her to take a few hours off 2.5hrs at most and make it up. Work life balance remember and the work won't pay her any extra for her dedication...well unless she's on a bonus scheme

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Taking time off for citizenship should not count against her vacation time. What province are you in?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Just when you think things posted online can’t get any more ridiculous when it is connected to people’s immigration journey, then you read something like this.
Never disappointed

mangojuice

Nov 23, 2021
Just when you think things posted online can’t get any more ridiculous when it is connected to people’s immigration journey, then you read something like this.
Thank you for your answer to my question.

Never disappointed with the answer.

Last edited: