+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do they extend medicals?

B

boyee6576

Yah I think if it was going to expire in a couple of months an extension of a month or so would be reasonable for a IO. I doubt since ours has been expired for 7 months that it would be something they would give an extension on. I think that would be wayyyyy too much to hope for. If I were to guess if they gave and extension, I think they would expect you to land between 2 to 4 weeks. Jus my opinion lol

nncs

Mar 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Jan-2010
AOR Received.
26-Jan-2010
File Transfer...
8-Feb-2010
Interview........
10-Aug-2010
Passport Req..
16-Dec-2010
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
I agree, I think 7+ months is too long to extend BUT you never know. Either way though, I would assume if they request a medical redo in your case that it would be the last step of the process and an administrative thing that just takes a few more weeks. As long as you know you're approved and the visa is ready to be issued but pending the medical results, then I guess it's not THAT bad ;)

My husband just booked his 2nd medical on August 16th (6 days after his upcoming interview) - hopefully by then we will know if the IO wants him to redo the medical or decides to extend the expiry *crossing fingers*!

Praying for the best.............:)

B

boyee6576

This has been a long tiresome process. We had to go through an appeal and won so this has been a long time coming. I will be so glad when I can post he has the visa in his hands. That will be an awesome day. Thanks to God things are going relatively smooth. I will be excited if they give him an extension but I wont be depressed if they dont. He has been approved and there is nothing medically wrong with him so its just jump through the last few hoops and hopefully it wont be much longer.

I think in your case NNCS, an extension would only be fair. I am sure if he asks them at the interview they will tell him and if he can land fairly quickly after the process is complete, I would make sure they knew that. If he can clear things up and move within 3 or 4 weeks and land then I would tell them that he doesnt need much time get packed and move. That might help, its only my thoughts. :D Good luck on the interview I am sure things will go great. :)

nncs

Mar 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Jan-2010
AOR Received.
26-Jan-2010
File Transfer...
8-Feb-2010
Interview........
10-Aug-2010
Passport Req..
16-Dec-2010
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
Thanks for the encouragement boyee6576 :) - I hope your case gets finalized soon!

You know, after all, the possibility of extending the medical is only an option if he's approved at the interview and ALL required docs/info is there! ...and if the IO is nice... :p :p - I hope! ... a girl can dream a little ;)

Jul 12, 2010
When my husband's medical expired our immigration consultant followed with the Embassy and asked they issue the appropriate paperwork so he could get his medicals done again to avoid further delays. The Immigration Officer responded by saying that they will tell us when he is to go and re-do this medicals and at that time they will provide the necessary forms. It was not until his file was completed that they requested his medicals be completed again.

I would ask the Embassy for instructions before proceeding to do your medicals again. Odds are, they will request the medicals to be done when the file is completed or near completed. My immigration consultant had told us that was what 'usually' happens.

nncs

Mar 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Jan-2010
AOR Received.
26-Jan-2010
File Transfer...
8-Feb-2010
Interview........
10-Aug-2010
Passport Req..
16-Dec-2010
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
GuateCanadian79 said:
It was not until his file was completed that they requested his medicals be completed again.
When the embassy gave you instructions to re-do the medical, how long had it been expired for?

Jul 12, 2010
My husband's medicals expired in September 2007 and he was given instructions in late January/beginning of February 2010 to have them completed again. He went right away and within a couple weeks the Embassy requested his passport and within days of dropping it off they called to say it was ready for him to pick up.

B

boyee6576

wow thats pretty fast. They must have dont the security checks before they requested his visa? My husband has to send in a photo copy of his passport and the free pages. Not sure what that is about other than they will be doing the security checks with it and then ask for the passport?

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
boyee this is such a touchy topic that everyone who has gone through it had different experiences.

My partner's MP told him yesterday that not to worry to much about the medicals because some CIC lets it slip by if everything is good with the applicant's health.

I am in my early 20's and my meds have expired in March of this year. My body is in good condition ... I have my interview in September and still no word on meds but I am sure going to ask the VO at the interview if I can go ahead and redo my meds in the meantime. I don't know if they VO will want to request another one from me to check for HIV because my application is a same-sex application and you know the big bias with HIV and gay men.

Who knows. Will know when that time comes :)

I guess we all just have to sit and wait on instructions from our VOs or if we have the dollars to spend, just risk redoing one at our own will.

Please do keep is posted on your situation.

Best wishes!

B

boyee6576

Well I guess the thing is its money wasted if they dont ask for it. As I said I would just like to have no more delays just cut to the chase and issue the visa so someone can take their finger of the pause button on our life. lol.

Yes confusednscared, thats what I am learning there is no set pattern as very officers seems to do things a bit different even within the same visa office. It would be nice if they let my husband slip by but I am thinking that once he gets the passport request they will then ask for medical. I would much rather the money go towards his ticket and not another medical. lol but thats just me, wishful thinking.

Good luck on your interveiw :)

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
confusednscared said:
I don't know if they VO will want to request another one from me to check for HIV because my application is a same-sex application and you know the big bias with HIV and gay men.
I hope there isn't such a bias with CIC, though you never know. If it was just the HIV test, it wouldn't be a big deal, especially in Ontario (not sure about elsewhere) where the test is actually free, no matter whether you are an Ontario resident or not.

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
So, I have learned from past experiences that even if there are mandates and policies set in place for CIC staff they still go about and do as they wish or what their minds tell them. I think that if an IO likes you at your interview or thinks good of you depending on his/her emotional feelings that day of your life being determined in an interview then good comes out of it. Otherwise, you will have to prepare for the long, harsh run like that of Boyee's.

Yes, they always have reasons to back up refusals of applications by pulling quotes from the IRPA and other acts they use (not so sure of the other ones) but how many times when we read those little details do the quotes from the IRPA do apply to us on a personal basis? These are highly trained individuals and what does it take to prove them wrong unless you get a chance to present your case to the IAD or Federal Court.

Many of you have said that IOs play with our lives and don't have a heart to think about the compromises and set backs we have made in our lives just to get by this process.

I have worked for the provincial government in Ontario under the Customer Service sector and as much as we have been trained to follow such mandates and policies set out by the company I worked for, we still did as we wish and treated customers based on their appearance, the way they approach us, overall charisma, etc. For example, if the person looked and dressed like a bum, we treat them poorly, if they dressed professional but acted like asses, they still got treated poorly. The extent of poor or harsh treatment all varied according to our daily emotions. Whenever there was a complaint filed against any of the staff, the company would always stand 100% behind their staff unless the customer has stone evidence to prove otherwise. In the end, we always win.

Was it the right thing to do to these people? Most certainly not because upon being hired by my company we had to make oaths in which we had promised to follow the mandates and policies set out by the company. Yet, we were able to treat people like animals and still get away with it.

This is exactly how if feel the staff at CIC works

:-\

B

boyee6576

I can tell you right now that the IOs are bias, atleast they were in our case. My husband said as soon as that officer walked in the room she said I dont believe your marriage is real. She made fun of how I looked and told my husband that indians like to chase after white skin. My husband was floored and then to ask about our sex life? I am sorry how often we had sex and where was not something immigration needed to discuss for visa purposes. My husband who is very shy Indian man was horrified with her question. You just dont talk about that sort of thing with a woman who is not your wife. She told him.. you dont love your wife. My husband said yes I do I love her and want to be with her. She said no you dont I can see it in your eyes you are going to leave her. You cant possibly love someone like her. Look at her and she made my husband look at the picture of our wedding, she is NOTHING in front of you. My husband said is it not my choice who I love, she is very beautiful in my eyes and I love her. She went on and on. Never asked much about anything other than to berate me fight with my husband because he has a hindu name but is christian. She said how can you be a christian with a hindu last name. My husband told her that for generations his ancestors were christians but she fought with him calling him a lier. Can you imagine? What nerve! Anyways she was rude and to be honest a total witch. but I didnt let it go. I contacted the high commissioner and an internal review of the situation was made. They said that if she had said those things to my husband (she said a lot) that it was indeed in appropriate. Of course she denied it and it was a case of he said she said but a note was made on her file and she is not to be caught in a situation such as this again. However, they let our case be refused anyways. the ADR went very well I guess I was very very lucky compared to some other couples on here. We won our case and now that same visa officer I complained about is now doing our visa. I just have a feeling this is going to take unusually long just to get revenge on us for complaining about her. I am a bit worried about it.