+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do Temporary Foreign Workers qualify for Employment Insurance?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I know of two cases....

Case one.... a TFW became pregnant....she had fulfilled her specified work hours and thus received full maternity EI.

Case two....a TFW was on a 2 year work visa....after 11 months she was laid off...she received her full EI benefit..approx 8 months...there did not seem to be any issue with the fact her work visa specified one employer.

Both cases happened in BC...not sure if that makes a difference at all.

Hope this helps

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think it's ever been questioned that TFW's have the right to sickness and maternity benefits, it's just the regular benefits. Sometimes it seems to be approved and sometimes denied, even people who appealed, talked to their MP etc. and still were denied.

FWP

Nov 26, 2012
i am currently a TFW in Toronto, Ontario. I will be let go off work and decemeber 2012 is my last month of job. i will be applying for my Permanent Residence in Jan 2013. If i apply for EI will it hamper my application for PR?

DJSanty919

Apr 26, 2015
This is currently my situation too. I just got PRed and got my new SIN and since my employer got laid of her job, she cannot afford to pay me. So what happened was we applied an EI using my new SIN and my last day of employee was lets say a couple of weeks before I got PRed and my ROE is under my TFW SIN. She told me I should contact Service Canada to let them know about this. Is this right?