+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do photocopies need to be notarized from USA

kamsterr

Aug 5, 2015
Hi,

I'm sponsoring my spouse from the US to come to Canada via an outland application. Just a little confused on whether photocopies of birth certificates, marriage certificate, passport, etc need to be "certified" by a notary or if we can just do a simple photocopy?

None of our documents need to be translated and the USA specific instructions say: "Send photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals." So if no translation is needed are we ok to send a simple photocopy or should it be notarized?

Thank you!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
kamsterr said:
Hi,

I'm sponsoring my spouse from the US to come to Canada via an outland application. Just a little confused on whether photocopies of birth certificates, marriage certificate, passport, etc need to be "certified" by a notary or if we can just do a simple photocopy?

None of our documents need to be translated and the USA specific instructions say: "Send photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals." So if no translation is needed are we ok to send a simple photocopy or should it be notarized?

Thank you!
No notarization of anything needed for Americans if everything is in English. The only time it would be is if you are applying common-law, then you need affidavits or statutory declarations concerning your relationship. Nothing like that needed for married couples though.

jr4210

Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
5-03-2016 / SA 17-03-2016
File Transfer...
28-03-2016
Passport Req..
03-10-2016
I hope this isn't a silly questions, but does the same apply for applicants based in the UAE?

Our instructions say to send notarized photocopies unless instructed otherwise, but our marriage certificate is in English and none of our documents need translating.

If we send photocopies would this suffice?