+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do PGWP holders qualify for the COVID-19 Plan ?

Tusubasa

Feb 13, 2019

i was reading about the 2000$ compensation plan for workers who's job got affected by the pandemic of COVID-19.

i got my hours reduced from 45 a week to 15 hours due to " not too much work " therefore my income won't be enough to pay my bills and rent etc...

so do i qualify for the plan even tho i am only a work permit holder ?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
No, the CERB would not apply in your situation
Here is the eligibility portion from the bill

Eligibility

6 (1) A worker is eligible for an income support payment if
(a) the worker, whether employed or self-employed, ceases working for reasons related to COVID-19 for at least 14consecutive days within the four-week period in respect of which they apply for the payment

If you had reduced hours due to Covid you’d apply for EI. Keep in mind though there are minimum amount of hours you’d have had to work to be eligible though

Apply for Employment Insurance
If you were recently laid off or have reduced hours and qualify for Employment Insurance benefits, you can submit your request today.
The system would determine if you are eligible

Tusubasa

Feb 13, 2019
No, the CERB would not apply in your situation
Here is the eligibility portion from the bill

Eligibility

6 (1) A worker is eligible for an income support payment if
(a) the worker, whether employed or self-employed, ceases working for reasons related to COVID-19 for at least 14consecutive days within the four-week period in respect of which they apply for the payment
but does it apply on work permit holders ? or does the applier has to have PR/Citizenship ?

like in general, assume i was directly affected by it etc..

Peace21

Mar 27, 2020

i was reading about the 2000$ compensation plan for workers who's job got affected by the pandemic of COVID-19.

i got my hours reduced from 45 a week to 15 hours due to " not too much work " therefore my income won't be enough to pay my bills and rent etc...

I m looking for the same answer.
The act is not clear. how do they define resident in Canada? living and working in Canada?
Here is the excerpt
worker means a person who is at least 15 years of age, who is resident in Canada and who, for 2019 or in the 12-month period preceding the day on which they make an application under section 5, has a total income of at least $5,000 — or, if another amount is fixed by regulation, of at least that amount — from the following sources:
(a) employment;
(b) self-employment;
(c) benefits paid to the person under any of subsections 22(1), 23(1), 152.‍04(1) and 152.‍05(1) of the Employment Insurance Act; and
(d) allowances, money or other benefits paid to the person under a provincial plan because of pregnancy or in respect of the care by the person of one or more of their new-born children or one or more children placed with them for the purpose of adoption.‍ (travailleur)

Regulations — definition of worker

3 With the consent of the Minister of Finance, the Minister may, by regulation, fix an amount for the purposes of the definition worker in section 2.

The best would be to call your MP office

Reactions: Tusubasa

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The CERB is for individuals who have LOST their job, the poster had reduced hours . That is why I posted the link
As well, the program was just announced, I would not contact your MP regarding the program until the application site is up and running
For EI there are minimum insurable hours required , those are legislated

Tusubasa

Feb 13, 2019
The CERB is for individuals who have LOST their job, the poster had reduced hours . That is why I posted the link
As well, the program was just announced, I would not contact your MP regarding the program until the application site is up and running
For EI there are minimum insurable hours required , those are legislated
yeah but the general question is ---> is it only for PR and citizenship holders OR does the work permit fellas apply for the plan too ?

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
yeah but the general question is ---> is it only for PR and citizenship holders OR does the work permit fellas apply for the plan too ?
Resident is anyone living here(except visitors). Resident is Tax resident -even PGWP's qualify for EI. So resident doesn't just mean PR/Citizen, even temporary worker or student(No EI for students) is a resident.

Reactions: Princes2020

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
Resident status is determined as per tax laws. As PGWP u should qualify for the benifits if u r meeting other residency requirements I thino

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

If you don’t lose you job entirely it puts you in a tough spot. Either you lose all your hours or you try to find another part-time job to supplement your hours. That will likely put you in a better position if you are able to find another part-time job.

katherineatcanada

Jun 11, 2019
hi, I have the same problem. I am open work permit holder and cease working for more than 14 days due to Covid-19, I am also an applicant of immigrant under sponsorship of spouse inland Canada. Our family cannot ask for social financial aid. In my case, I have two question:
1, For open work permit holder , eligible for CERB?
2, Is CERB considered as a social aid? If Sponsor and applicant (both are family members) seek for CERB , is ok?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi, I have the same problem. I am open work permit holder and cease working for more than 14 days due to Covid-19, I am also an applicant of immigrant under sponsorship of spouse inland Canada. Our family cannot ask for social financial aid. In my case, I have two question:
1, For open work permit holder , eligible for CERB?
2, Is CERB considered as a social aid? If Sponsor and applicant (both are family members) seek for CERB , is ok?
You are not allowed to be on social assistance. EI and CERB are not social assistance.