+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do NOT want in laws to come

Ilya_Mimi

Jan 24, 2018
Hi there,

I've been living with my husband and daughter in Canada for a while and everything is fine, but his family keep insisting that we sponsor them to come to Canada. His parents are infernal and I'm afraid they'll destroy our lives if they come (yeah, feel free to laugh at my misery). Is there a way we can stop them? It seems Canada is very welcome to in laws...

jman25

Jul 27, 2017
I'm afraid there's no other way but to simply refuse to go through the sponsorship process. I am sorry about your situation; you should tell your husband how you feel and come up with an excuse to tell his parents LOL.

Reactions: Ilya_Mimi

HeyKenGuy

Mar 10, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
04/04/2017
Doc's Request.
n/a
AOR Received.
04/27/2017
File Transfer...
06/01/2017
Med's Request
05/01/2017
Med's Done....
05/04/2017:Meds Passed 05/12/2017
Hi there,

I've been living with my husband and daughter in Canada for a while and everything is fine, but his family keep insisting that we sponsor them to come to Canada. His parents are infernal and I'm afraid they'll destroy our lives if they come (yeah, feel free to laugh at my misery). Is there a way we can stop them? It seems Canada is very welcome to in laws...
you're making this more complicated than it needs to be...if you dont want them to come, dont sponsor them

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi there,

You need to meet income requirement to sponsor parents/grandparents.

Does your husband alone make enough to qualify? If not, he will need your income and be the co-sponsor.
So to try not qualify, I guess you can stop working. :p
Or make more babies so the family size is too big to qualify. :p

At the end, it's up to your husband.

We have entered the 2018 lottery to sponsor my mother in-law. She is nice. I think I can handle that.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi there,

Does your husband feel the same way?

If so, then just tell his parents you entered the lottery to sponsor them but were unfortunately not lucky enough to be selected. Repeat every year.

If your husband wants to sponsor his own parents and meets income requirements on his own, then he could do so even without your consent.

Ilya_Mimi

Jan 24, 2018
Does your husband feel the same way?

If so, then just tell his parents you entered the lottery to sponsor them but were unfortunately not lucky enough to be selected. Repeat every year.

If your husband wants to sponsor his own parents and meets income requirements on his own, then he could do so even without your consent.
My husband and I have talked about it and we both agree it would turn our lives upside down. We just don't want to simply refuse to sponsor them...it would be kinda rude, since we both work and we could totally do it.
You gave me quite a good idea. It would be a more polite way to deal with it. Thanks :)

Ilya_Mimi

Jan 24, 2018
You need to meet income requirement to sponsor parents/grandparents.

Does your husband alone make enough to qualify? If not, he will need your income and be the co-sponsor.
So to try not qualify, I guess you can stop working. :p
Or make more babies so the family size is too big to qualify. :p

At the end, it's up to your husband.

We have entered the 2018 lottery to sponsor my mother in-law. She is nice. I think I can handle that.
Hahaha, If I get to desperate, maybe I take this path :p
Oh, you're lucky to have nice in laws, I envy you.

Reactions: YVR123

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
My husband and I have talked about it and we both agree it would turn our lives upside down. We just don't want to simply refuse to sponsor them...it would be kinda rude, since we both work and we could totally do it.
You gave me quite a good idea. It would be a more polite way to deal with it. Thanks :)
As long as your husband doesn't mind lying to them.

"Oh yes we definitely submitted the intent to sponsor you, but since they only select 10K people in the lottery, we didn't get selected this time. Maybe next year".

Make sure you don't actually enter the lottery, because if you win a spot and don't sponsor them you are just wasting a spot for someone who did want to sponsor their parents!

ahmedwaly

Nov 19, 2016
Why not offer them short visits or that you go visit them as in the end they are still parents and whatever they may do they gave birth to him and took care of him for ages and those moments are not Forever life is short and you will miss them when they die , they not want come as for the only love of Canada they miss thier son and want see thier grand children too , super Visa might be an option to have them from time to time ., life gives back what we do and your kids might someday travel and deny see you to satisfy the wife. I still respect so much that you not want be rude with them which shows you respect them a lot in end they are your family too.

Ilya_Mimi

Jan 24, 2018
As long as your husband doesn't mind lying to them.

"Oh yes we definitely submitted the intent to sponsor you, but since they only select 10K people in the lottery, we didn't get selected this time. Maybe next year".

Make sure you don't actually enter the lottery, because if you win a spot and don't sponsor them you are just wasting a spot for someone who did want to sponsor their parents!
I know it sounds bad, but we'll have to lie... To be honest, his family was absent for a long time but after we moved to Canada and established ourselves here they wanna get closer...

Ilya_Mimi

Jan 24, 2018
Why not offer them short visits or that you go visit them as in the end they are still parents and whatever they may do they gave birth to him and took care of him for ages and those moments are not Forever life is short and you will miss them when they die , they not want come as for the only love of Canada they miss thier son and want see thier grand children too , super Visa might be an option to have them from time to time ., life gives back what we do and your kids might someday travel and deny see you to satisfy the wife. I still respect so much that you not want be rude with them which shows you respect them a lot in end they are your family too.
Sure, visits are always welcome. We treat them quite well, we just don't want to deal with them 24/7 :confused:

Reactions: ahmedwaly