+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DO NOT comply Residency Obligation to renew my PR

fasoola7321

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
Thanks for this discussion. So what then if one shows at the land border with a US passport and COPR and say my PR card was lost? Does that change the trajectory as far as odds of entry into Canada without being reported?

fasoola7321

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
Sounds like getting a lawyer to be with me at the border might be another option with all documentation ready to answer the CBSA officer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for this discussion. So what then if one shows at the land border with a US passport and COPR and say my PR card was lost? Does that change the trajectory as far as odds of entry into Canada without being reported?
Lying will lead to lot of trouble. Explain the true story. I assume you have your PR card and it is just expired. No you can't take the bus or train. You also shouldn't arrive with your parents.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Sounds like getting a lawyer to be with me at the border might be another option with all documentation ready to answer the CBSA officer.
Word of caution: CBSA does not have to allow a lawyer to be present during secondary questioning. That’s entirely their call if they allow your legal representative to be present during an interview. There’s also no Miranda rights in Canada, so if they ask, you have to truthful.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - not an option. The border is a secure area and a lawyer won't be allowed to enter. You need to handle the conversations with CBSA yourself.

Reactions: zardoz

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I am in a similar fix. Me and my family have moved to Canada in August 2008. We stayed there for 2 years and applied to PR and came back to India. We got a mail saying we got PR and we need to get it stamped for confirmation. So we came back on June 24, 2013 and got our stamping done and became PR since 25-06-2013. My PR card expired on 06 SEP 2018. I couldn't stay in Canada after stamping because I am in the middle of intermediate studies and my sister was in grade ten. Hence my family didn't want to disturb our studies and we weren't financially stable, so we came back. I then completed my bachelors in India with 75%. I wanted to study and settle in Canada, so I applied for Masters and got admission in University of Windsor two days before. Now should I apply for study permit or PRTD? I don't want to lose my PR and I really want to take up residence in Canada. My classes start from January 3, 2019 and I don't know whether I have to apply for PR or Study Permit. If I apply for PRTD and enter canada with it and stay for 2 years, can I renew my PR then? Or if the authorities won't allow me at the port of entry and put enquiry on my status. will they have the chance of revoking it? help me. what should i do now?
I looked at the more recent posts and didn't see this stated, so... As a Permanent Resident, you can't technically apply for a study permit. Therefore only the PRTD and border options are available.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,

I have a similar situation, PRTD rejected, filed appeal. Hearing over tele conference is schedule in Dec 2018. But I want to go to Canada to appear F2F hearing.

Can I cross US border by Train or Bus as I don't have personal Car to cross? As I was not present a single day in last 365 Day so PRTD will not issue.
Train may not be possible because it's end-to-end transport. However, a bus may be possible as they can just dump you at the border and continue with the journey without you.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
You can technically enter Canada on your US Passport. I have never once used my PR Card or COPR to enter Canada. That being said, even by presenting my US Passport, they know I'm a Canadian PR.

fasoola7321

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
Thanks mgnlky. How did you enter and exit Canada on your US Passport? How often have you done this? Did CBSA say anything? Can you elaborate on the context?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What are you and your family trying to do. Your first post is clearly not the truth. Is your whole family trying to enter Canada? Do they all have PRs? Are you trying to bring goods to Canada?

fasoola7321

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
I simply am trying to gauge what are the issues on can face entering Canada as US citizens with expired PR cards and a COPR in hand. Yes, my while family will be entering Canada and they will have PR cards. Yes, will be bringing goods and personal items to Canada.

MAT9

Nov 1, 2018
when you apply for the PRTD in your home country , your status will be determined before issuing you the PRTD. The PRTD is issued with the the clauses inserting R1, RX and other two category. If you are issued PRTD with the clause R1 it means you have met the residence obligations by considering your circumstances mentioned in your application for PRTD.

MAT9

Nov 1, 2018
R-1

Positive residency decision

RC-1

Positive residency decision based on H&C considerations

RX-1

Negative residency decision, but PRTD counterfoil issued as client has been to Canada during the past year and an appeal was made or appeal period has not yet expired.

RA-1

Negative residency decision, but PRTD counterfoil issued to allow client to attend appeal hearing

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
when you apply for the PRTD in your home country , your status will be determined before issuing you the PRTD. The PRTD is issued with the the clauses inserting R1, RX and other two category. If you are issued PRTD with the clause R1 it means you have met the residence obligations by considering your circumstances mentioned in your application for PRTD.
Because of their US citizenship this is not applicable.

Reactions: dpenabill