+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DO NOT APPLY WITH LESS THAN 1095 DAYS (READ MINE)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
You applied in July of this year and are freaking out you haven't had a test yet? People have waited years for the test in recent history. I don't know if you applied under the old or new law, but if you applied under the old law and your job is such that you would never qualify for citizenship based on physical presence alone, but you have strong ties to Canada nonetheless--you might have a shot. Your case is a good example of why the change from residence to physical presence is probably a bad idea.
Bringing back basic residency brings back unfair subjective reasoning and of course backlog to CJ all over again. Removing the basic residency and sticking with physical presence requirement removes all grey subjective zone. Either you meet the physically presence test or you don't. No need to see CJ at all. Free up a lot of CJ's time, thus faster oath appointments available, thus faster processing time.

If your job requires you to spend a lot of physical time outside Canada, to the point of not being able to meet qualifications for citizenship, so be it. Remember no one is forcing you to take the job you have. You can always quit your job and find a more suitable job that allows you to stay in Canada more, if getting citizenship is that important to you more than your job.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:
Bringing back basic residency brings back unfair subjective reasoning and of course backlog to CJ all over again. Removing the basic residency and sticking with physical presence requirement removes all grey subjective zone. Either you meet the physically presence test or you don't. No need to see CJ at all. Free up a lot of CJ's time, thus faster oath appointments available, thus faster processing time.

If your job requires you to spend a lot of physical time outside Canada, to the point of not being able to meet qualifications for citizenship, so be it. Remember no one is forcing you to take the job you have. You can always quit your job and find a more suitable job that allows you to stay in Canada more, if getting citizenship is that important to you more than your job.
You make fair points. But I still think people should have the right to be heard about the quality and nature of their ties to Canada--particularly in situations where actual physical presence is in dispute.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
A FWIW observation:

Lawyers are not responsible for the facts. The applicant is responsible for the facts. The residency calculation is dependent on the accuracy and completeness of information entered into it. The applicant, not the lawyer, is responsible for the accuracy and completeness of that information.

The residency calculation must be signed by the applicant personally. It is the applicant who verifies the content of the calculation.

Yes, too many lawyers are all too often incompetent or otherwise make mistakes. And it can be difficult to hold them to account for that.

Errors in the residency calculation, however, are the responsibility of the applicant.

Remember: the residency calculation (and now the physical presence calculation) are essentially the applicant's testimony as to presence or absence. Lawyers are actually prohibited from testifying as to facts in the case.

Signing the residency calculation (or physical presence calculation) is like signing an affidavit. No matter who actually typed or entered the information into the affidavit, it is the affiant who is responsible for the truthfulness of its content.

And, it is also worth remembering, if erroneous information submitted in an application is deemed to constitute a material misrepresentation, it is not the lawyer who is at risk for going to jail.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
You make fair points. But I still think people should have the right to be heard about the quality and nature of their ties to Canada--particularly in situations where actual physical presence is in dispute.
When someone want rights to something that they were not qualified to get, reeks of a sense of entitlement. So in your example of someone working at a good paying job that require constant travel outside Canada (usually constant travel demands equal good pay), want to have their cake and eat it too. Wants to have citizenship but keep a good paying job that most canadian/PR would love to have.

Remember statistics have shown that approx 66% of working people don't make more than 44700 annual.

This little tidbit is what the media refused to reveal to the public when the Liberals promised 1.5% tax cut for the middle class during election campaign, until after the Liberals were voted in. This is one of the signs of media bias against the conservatives.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
dpenabill said:
A FWIW observation:

Lawyers are not responsible for the facts. The applicant is responsible for the facts. The residency calculation is dependent on the accuracy and completeness of information entered into it. The applicant, not the lawyer, is responsible for the accuracy and completeness of that information.

The residency calculation must be signed by the applicant personally. It is the applicant who verifies the content of the calculation.

Yes, too many lawyers are all too often incompetent or otherwise make mistakes. And it can be difficult to hold them to account for that.

Errors in the residency calculation, however, are the responsibility of the applicant.

Remember: the residency calculation (and now the physical presence calculation) are essentially the applicant's testimony as to presence or absence. Lawyers are actually prohibited from testifying as to facts in the case.

Signing the residency calculation (or physical presence calculation) is like signing an affidavit. No matter who actually typed or entered the information into the affidavit, it is the affiant who is responsible for the truthfulness of its content.

And, it is also worth remembering, if erroneous information submitted in an application is deemed to constitute a material misrepresentation, it is not the lawyer who is at risk for going to jail.

Right... silly me thinking lawyers could me hold accountable for their mistakes.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Bigudi said:
Right... silly me thinking lawyers could me hold accountable for their mistakes.
To be clear, my post was about the need for applicants to maintain control of their information. This is an important reminder. This is not about moral imperatives to be honest. This is about the practical import of getting the facts right. The best way to navigate the system is to get the facts right. And only the applicant is in the best position to make sure the facts are right.

Lawyers can and often are held accountable for their mistakes.

And yes it can be difficult to have a lawyer held accountable for the lawyer's mistake.

But an error in the residency calculation is the applicant's mistake, not the lawyer's.

My post was to emphasize that individuals are the ones responsible for the facts. And the residency calculation is essentially the applicant's account, or testimony, of the facts.

The proverbial imperative is to read what you are signing before you sign it. In reality, in practice, we sign scores of documents rife with boilerplate information without reading the boilerplate.

In contrast, however, there is very little boilerplate in a citizenship application. The residency calculation is almost entirely testimonial. The information in the application and in the residency calculation are provided by the applicant, and if someone else physically enters the information for the applicant, the truthfulness (the accuracy and completeness of that information) is absolutely, unequivocally still the applicant's responsibility to verify. The applicant's signature constitutes a formal affirmation that the applicant attests to the truthfulness of that information. The import of this should not be understated.

Anyone who obtains assistance in compiling or composing or otherwise preparing these documents should be cognizant of this.

"It was the lawyer's fault," flies like a lead balloon.

That the risk of jail time, for making material misrepresentations, is not on the lawyer, is no oversight, no injustice.

To be frank, even under Jason Kenney's virtually draconian reign, ordinarily CIC has been rather flexible, oft times lenient, sometimes even quite generous in how it approaches discrepancies . . . minor discrepancies readily shrugged off as inconsequential mistakes, even rather significant discrepancies oft addressed only to the extent of essentially discounting that particular erroneous information. In contrast, this forum, and the Federal Court cases, are rife with examples of residency calculation "mistakes" in the range of weeks and months. Who mistakenly overlooks being abroad for weeks, let alone months within just the previous four years? I'm old, and my memory is not much to brag about, and I had dozens of trips abroad when I applied for citizenship . . . I cannot imagine failing to remember a whole week abroad, let alone two months. No one should expect a scrutinizing bureaucrat to buy that errors amounting to more than a week were due to mere oversight, forgetfulness, or the fault of a lawyer's secretary.

I am reminded of the participant in this forum who complained bitterly that CIC instructed applicants that the key source of information for declaring travel abroad was stamps in the passport, and then held him accountable (as I recall, issued RQ) because he had failed to disclose a couple trips not reflected by stamps in his passport and was off by a day in some others.

First, CIC never instructed applicants of this. Rather CIC's instructions made it abundantly clear that the applicant's obligation was to report all travel abroad (except day trips for applications made prior to June 2015).

CIC had oft argued, to the Federal Court, that CIC relied extensively on passport stamps in the process of verifying the applicant's travel declarations, with no hint at all that it relied on passport stamps to provide a complete accounting of travel. CIC also oft argued that, in some cases, there were indications of undisclosed travel not indicated by passport stamps, clearly indicating it did not rely on stamps to be a complete reflection of all travel.

Secondly, this participant also took umbrage with CIC's attention to the date stamped in his passport as the date of return, when in fact he had arrived the night before but by the time they debarked the plane and got through the POE line, it was after midnight, so it should have been OK that he declared arrival in Canada the day before the stamp. So much for his purportedly relying on the passport stamps to declare dates of travel!

The overriding import of this goes precisely to the OP's object in starting this topic: to emphasize to applicants the importance of not applying until they have for sure passed the minimum presence threshold!

The responsibility for this is solidly on the applicant. It is just and proper that it is the applicant who is held accountable if there is a failure to do this.

This remains even more true now that there is no leeway at all relative to eligibility, the minimum physical presence threshold (now 1460 days in 6 years) is an absolute minimum.

I would be remiss in making these reminders, in the context of the topic's subject, if I failed to also note that very recently, as I cited and linked in another post here, in the Abdul-Sattar Q Mahdi 2015 FC 1318 case, in discussing the import of potential concern about undisclosed absences a Federal Court justice described 43 days more than the physical presence requirement, as "only slightly over the minimum requirement for physical presence in Canada,".

Thus, my take is that the object of stone8198's admonition is indeed an important one. Yes, it is largely a reminder. Yes, most are already well aware of this. But among the most frequent errors seen, leading to problems, is the applicant's failure to accurately and completely declare all travel abroad. So a reminder that this is the applicant's obligation, the applicant's responsibility, and that it is important to get these facts right, and indeed to have a decent buffer margin over the minimum, is a reminder worth making.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
dpenabill said:
But an error in the residency calculation is the applicant's mistake, not the lawyer's.

Yes, of course I understand and agree with you that from the point of view of CIC (or the law for that matter) the sole responsible for the Residency calculator is the applicant. And those specific consequences are over the applicants shoulders.
What I am questioning is from the point of view of the commercial transaction between a service provider (the lawyer) and the client (the applicant).

The client requests to the service provider to perform a service (calculate and fill up the residency calculator). The service provider commits a mistake. The client does not have to pay for the service that was not provided in a satisfactory manner, causing serious future problems.

I mean... it's like if I hire someone to replace my toilet and the person leaves the toilet leaking or simply does not position the new toilet correctly. It is from the client's rights to not pay for that service.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Bigudi said:
I mean... it's like if I hire someone to replace my toilet and the person leaves the toilet leaking or simply does not position the new toilet correctly. It is from the client's rights to not pay for that service.
A more apt analogy would be hiring a plumber to install a toilet which the home owner provides, and it turns out the toilet is defective.

If the plumber provides the toilet, sure, the plumber as well as the toilet manufacturer are accountable for the defective toilet based on warranty principles.

If the home owner provides the toilet, however, the plumber is only accountable for the plumber's workmanship, not the quality or integrity of the toilet itself.

Again, the applicant is the source of the information in the residency calculation. Not the service provider who enters the data into the documentation. And the applicant verifies the accuracy and completeness of that information when the applicant signs both the application itself, and also the residency calculation. That the applicant is required to separately sign the residency calculation is not a mere formality. It is substantively important.

The extent to which one sees significant errors in residency calculations reflects how casually all too many approach the citizenship application process. Citizenship is one of the most significant types of status a person can have. Think how important it is to get the information right in an application for credit or in applying for a job . . . and multiply that by a lot, by many times over. Yet, this and other forums see a regular stream of reports by applicants who made "minor" mistakes in the range of weeks or more.

The point of the reminders is to caution prospective applicants: do not make this kind of mistake. Get it right. And if someone else is typing or writing the information into the forms for you, check what is in the form against what information you provided before signing it, before it is submitted.

The calculation itself is automatic. The errors arise from mistakes in the entered information. Only the applicant can be sure this information is complete and accurate. This needs to be taken very seriously.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
dpenabill said:
Again, the applicant is the source of the information in the residency calculation. Not the service provider who enters the data into the documentation. And the applicant verifies the accuracy and completeness of that information when the applicant signs both the application itself, and also the residency calculation. That the applicant is required to separately sign the residency calculation is not a mere formality. It is substantively important.
Again, I do not disagree.

But assume for a moment that the applicant provided all correct information and documentation to the lawyer and hired him to make the calculation.
If the client has to check the calculation himself afterwards, it does not make sense to pay to some one to do it. It's like paying the plumber do install the toilet and after the work is done the client removes the toilet and install again himself.

I mean. I am aware that an applicant cannot hire someone to make the calculation, but assume he did. The applicant you assume all the risks, I understand and agree. But this doesn't free the lawyer (the service provider) to be held accountable for the quality of his service.

Meaning... comerciallywise the client does not have to pay the service provider.

amazingTOO

Oct 21, 2015
look the bright sight.
you did a right job, u lose nothing by apply it early.(in case you wouldnt meet the old 3/4 rules on jun 11)
if you meet the requirement today, reapply it.
lucky you, they didn't return your case.
maybe you will be the last kooable case in Canadian history.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Bigudi said:
Man... two months?!?!?! You should have withdraw the application as soon as you realized the mistake.
Had I known that, I'm short of number of days I would have withdrawn and re-applied long time back.

However, only towards the end of 2014, thru ATIP report I learnt that I'm short of days. By that that time, I had passed the test and my attorney re-assured that, considering my strong ties to the country judge would approve my case.

I'm wondering, what's the point of CIC to request the RQ and then do nothing about it. Why they drags applicants for up to 4 years, invite them for test, schedule appointment with the judge. Then, judge told I dont have time to review the documents plus dont have power to approve based on strong ties. Even if I do, the CIC would over rule my decision. I was like what ???, why all this farce drama.

CIC intentionally wasted their resources and my time for what ???. Logically after CIC evaluate the RQ responses, they should intimate applicants if they are ineligible and close the files. I found this is totally ridiculous and senseless practice of dragging.

Bottom line, I strongly recommend the fellow candidates to get the ATIP report and if they are short of days, just withdraw and re-apply instead of wasting their time.

anon3721

Nov 17, 2015
I applied with less than 1095 days (I was like 30 days short or something stupid) Nov 2014. IP in Feb 2015, and RQ March 2015, then went in for Test in May 2015.

At the interview, the official basically told me yeah you can try to see a judge but it'll take very long time and lots of effort. Better to just withdraw and apply again when I have enough days, which under 3/4 would happen in 2019 or something, and that'd still be easier than seeing a judge :-\

Then 4/6 rule happened and I was so happy ;D fingers crossed.

But yeah don't apply even if you are one day short.

insighty

Oct 26, 2015
anon3721 said:
I applied with less than 1095 days (I was like 30 days short or something stupid) Nov 2014. IP in Feb 2015, and RQ March 2015, then went in for Test in May 2015.

At the interview, the official basically told me yeah you can try to see a judge but it'll take very long time and lots of effort. Better to just withdraw and apply again when I have enough days, which under 3/4 would happen in 2019 or something, and that'd still be easier than seeing a judge :-\

glad it all worked out. 2019 is farrr... By the Mulcair may have been prime minister and trump would have put the us economy in 5th place!! eessh

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
anon3721 said:

If I'm not mistaken, under the new law you absolutely cannot apply with less than the minimum days required. You application is rejected right away. It doesn't go to process.

anon3721

Nov 17, 2015
Oh yeah. I should clarify that I withdrew my last application and just sent in a new one.

But I am now affected by the police record requirement, so no idea how much longer my application would take to process vs someone who doesn't need police records.