File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to go full time, your employer will either need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit - or you'll need to wait until you have completed your studies and have a Post Graduate Work Permit.

8Hannah8

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
I find it curious wheather modelling could be considered as a full-time job? Could it fit into Performing artists category? I guess my question would be, could modelling be considered as labour by definition? How do you get LMIA if the job requirements are highly subjective? I find it very curious from labour law perspective.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
8Hannah8 said:
I find it curious wheather modelling could be considered as a full-time job? Could it fit into Performing artists category? I guess my question would be, could modelling be considered as labour by definition? How do you get LMIA if the job requirements are highly subjective? I find it very curious from labour law perspective.
I don't know if it can be considered as full time job, but you can relativelly easy reach 60 hours in a week. My wife was working for several modeling and actra agencies for some time. It's not unusual when day of filming is reaching 12 hours or even more. Saturday/Sunday work is also not unusual. In most cases the clients of these agencies (it maight be film studios, corporations or big retailers which are filming/shooting commercials) are asking for work permit. They also providing T4, even just for one day of work. So its not like you can hide this type of work from CRA/CIC.
But I agree, it's virtually impossible to get lmia for this type of job as modeling agency is not an employer. And long term contracts is not something very common in this industry.

8Hannah8

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
pfse said:
I don't know if it can be considered as full time job, but you can relativelly easy reach 60 hours in a week. My wife was working for several modeling and actra agencies for some time. It's not unusual when day of filming is reaching 12 hours or even more. Saturday/Sunday work is also not unusual. In most cases the clients of these agencies (it maight be film studios, corporations or big retailers which are filming/shooting commercials) are asking for work permit. They also providing T4, even just for one day of work. So its not like you can hide this type of work from CRA/CIC.
But I agree, it's virtually impossible to get lmia for this type of job as modeling agency is not an employer. And long term contracts is not something very common in this industry.
Thank you for some insight, it's definately interesting to know. For the movie industry there are some other nuances.

So that's what I found after a little bit of research. There is a NOC classification for "fashion models" - 5232

according to the article below, work permit is required and is a subject to LMIA for fashion models:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/temporary-foreign-worker-changes-side-swipe-fashion-industry-1.2731462

jils

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2014
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
n/a
IELTS Request
overall-7.0
File Transfer...
28-07-2014 (paper based)
Med's Done....
11-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Submitted pp with application (paper based)
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2104
LANDED..........
21-08-2104
I didn't wanted to ask my agency as for now because i just signed up with them but never mind i might well ask them. Thank you all for your inputs.

Enn805

Jul 19, 2016
Hi I read your question online and I am in the similar situation right now. I wonder did you get it solved? how did it go?

Thank you.

Anshu28

Sep 14, 2018
Hi

I am a fashion model and senior actor from India. I wanted to apply for Canada PR. I am tied up with agency in India who can provide me with all the necessary documents for the PR. Am I eligible to apply for PR.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi

I am a fashion model and senior actor from India. I wanted to apply for Canada PR. I am tied up with agency in India who can provide me with all the necessary documents for the PR. Am I eligible to apply for PR.
Impossible to say you will need to do some research to see if your occupation is match

http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=4&val1=5232&ver=16

Research the options here

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

If going express entry route check score here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

lamlam73

Feb 15, 2021
Hello, I am in the similar situation(but not in Canada) now and would like to follow up with how is your status.