+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do IRCC agents check LinkedIn page?

gp_2020

Oct 21, 2020
Do IRCC agents check your LinkedIn page during background check or any other stage of PR processing? I have a different job title on linkedin for my previous experience (that represents my skills better). Can this cause an issue?
@legalfalcon - can you advise?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Do IRCC agents check your LinkedIn page during background check or any other stage of PR processing? I have a different job title on linkedin for my previous experience (that represents my skills better). Can this cause an issue?
Open source searches are done. See https://bit.ly/3mT5fzZ

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Yes open searches conducted on LinkedIn, Facebook etc are amongst the tools used by IRCC and CBSA. See the online version of the CBSA security screening manual as well https://bit.ly/3mqHP5I

gp_2020

Oct 21, 2020
I wonder if anyone under CEC class got refusal based on information mismatch on application vs. linkedin/facebook
People love to exaggerate on linkedin about their experience and titles..

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I wonder if anyone under CEC class got refusal based on information mismatch on application vs. linkedin/facebook
People love to exaggerate on linkedin about their experience and titles..
maybe just make it private so that only your connections can see it, close your account, or change your account to show what you submitted.

datguytomi

Nov 3, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra (Moved to RROC December 2021)
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
31-10-2020
File Transfer...
02-12-2021
Passport Req..
16-03-2022
VISA ISSUED...
06-04-2022
LANDED..........
21-06-2022
Yes open searches conducted on LinkedIn, Facebook etc are amongst the tools used by IRCC and CBSA. See the online version of the CBSA security screening manual as well https://bit.ly/3mqHP5I
I saw someone with information technology consultant from New Delhi viewing my Linkedin, that has never happened before, could it be IRCC? My file is in Accra and I have never had anyone from India view my page.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
I saw someone with information technology consultant from New Delhi viewing my Linkedin, that has never happened before, could it be IRCC? My file is in Accra and I have never had anyone from India view my page.
No way to tell. No good either in trying to infer if everything is related to the immigration application. Over analysing every aspect will only cause more anxiety. If you have done your part then may be step back and let the process take it's course.

Drillinglife

Star Member
Mar 19, 2017
@legalfalcon . I need your help urgently plz.

I applied for a governmental job in Canada and in the job application i stated that i gained experience in field but it's different than the noc code stated in my fsw application. I do have experience in both, i never lied, but i am afraid it could lead to misrepresentation case for my pr application. I have already deleted the job application when i had this thought, but as you know, information can be kept for sometime in the information bank of the governmental institution.

Any advise? Am i overthinking?

Wilson51

Aug 17, 2021
You should know that there is a very good chance that IRCC will be looking at your social media profile. Do you profess to have worked for a certain company? Your LinkedIn profile can confirm or contradict that claim. It can also substantiate whether you worked there for the dates you indicated in your application.

MyBalanceNow

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon . I need your help urgently plz.

I applied for a governmental job in Canada and in the job application i stated that i gained experience in field but it's different than the noc code stated in my fsw application. I do have experience in both, i never lied, but i am afraid it could lead to misrepresentation case for my pr application. I have already deleted the job application when i had this thought, but as you know, information can be kept for sometime in the information bank of the governmental institution.

Any advise? Am i overthinking?
You are just overthinking. IRCC will not share information with other government departments. Information is only shared with whom you authorize IRCC to share, such as CBSA / CSIS etc.

fullstack

Oct 26, 2022
@legalfalcon

I just needed your insight.

8 or 9 years ago I used to have a second experimental LinkedIn profile with all fictitious information. I however have closed that account and it no longer exists.

Recently I did a check on my name at a people lookup website (like Social catfish) and it generates all those fictitious job and education information from that fake LinkedIn profile. I don't know how they got those info, provided I deleted that LinkedIn profile within a month of creating it.

I am a little worried that IRCC will run into all those fictitious information from people lookup websites and may think I misrepresented - which I haven't.

Are people lookup websites considered open source? I mean you have to pay a fee to subscribe to avail their services so maybe it's not considered open source?

I don't know what to do at this point.

I contacted the people lookup website and tried to have my info removed but they are not cooperating.

What else can I do?

Should I just allign my current LinkedIn profile as closely as possible to ircc profile and leave it at that?

Do you think it's something to worry about?

Thanks and will wait for your reply.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Yes, IRCC can look at your LinkedIn.

I don't have the link, but I vividly remember an inadmissibility court case where an Arab national failed to declare one of his work experience(s) that was mentioned on his LinkedIn profile, but not on his Express Entry profile. An officer caught him out and pinned him on misrepresentation.

The applicant took IRCC to court but lost because IRPA regulations demand that an applicant provides a complete application and does not withhold "material facts". So despite the fact that that work experience didn't even have an impact on his CRS score, he withheld a material fact and that was sufficient to trigger the rationale that the non-disclosure "could have induced an error in the administration of the IRPA" and the admissibility ban was enforced, and the court case thrown out to the applicant's demise.

Now the premise of all this was that the applicant did admit he forgot to disclose that particular work experience. So it wasn't like there was a stray error on his LinkedIn profile where he accidentally put something he shouldn't have. He did admit it.

So basically what that means is if you have a fake LinkedIn profile for "experimental" purposes because your employer asked you to look at competitors using a fake profile, or somebody stole your identity and made a fake profile, or you were experimenting with LinkedIn for whatever purpose, I doubt they can pin you for that. You're allowed to do that stuff as part of your job/life. It happens - I've been asked to do that myself. It is your immigration application that must be truthful and backed up by evidence.

Reactions: fullstack

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon

I just needed your insight.

8 or 9 years ago I used to have a second experimental LinkedIn profile with all fictitious information. I however have closed that account and it no longer exists.

Recently I did a check on my name at a people lookup website (like Social catfish) and it generates all those fictitious job and education information from that fake LinkedIn profile. I don't know how they got those info, provided I deleted that LinkedIn profile within a month of creating it.

I am a little worried that IRCC will run into all those fictitious information from people lookup websites and may think I misrepresented - which I haven't.

Are people lookup websites considered open source? I mean you have to pay a fee to subscribe to avail their services so maybe it's not considered open source?

I don't know what to do at this point.

I contacted the people lookup website and tried to have my info removed but they are not cooperating.

What else can I do?

Should I just allign my current LinkedIn profile as closely as possible to ircc profile and leave it at that?

Do you think it's something to worry about?

Thanks and will wait for your reply.
See https://bit.ly/3mXUXBc