+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do inland workpermit holders need to send their passport for permanent residence visa?

vishal128901

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Hi,

I recently receive a passport request (PPR) for my FSW application so that IRCC can provide me a permanent residence visa. I am in Canada working on a work visa. Do I still need a permanent residence visa to finalize my PR application and get a COPR?

When I applied for FSW I was in the US. My country of residence still says "US" even though my address has been update to Canada. I have raised a webform today to change that.

I am confused why I need the permanent residence visa when I am already in the country.

Can someone please shed some light? I will really appreciate any insights.

thanks,
V

djshoki93

Aug 23, 2020
Hello @vishal128901 , I will very likely be in the same situation (currently on a work permit, applied for PR when I was in the US but requested a change of my address and country of residency through a webform once I entered Canada) and I wanted to know what happened to your case? Did you have to submit your passport and if so, how long it took for them to give you the visa?

vishal128901

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Hello @vishal128901 , I will very likely be in the same situation (currently on a work permit, applied for PR when I was in the US but requested a change of my address and country of residency through a webform once I entered Canada) and I wanted to know what happened to your case? Did you have to submit your passport and if so, how long it took for them to give you the visa?
Hi @djshoki93
No, I didn't had to submit my passport. I was explicitly told that I should not send the passport and that a local visa office will do my virtual landing. The virtual landing took 2 months after I received the PPR.

Reactions: djshoki93