+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do Incomplete University Studies count?

salasmike

May 1, 2016
hello everybody, i have been really interested lately on moving to Canada, i was filling the come to Canada wizard, but i have a question that is been bugging me....

i finished high school and did four years out of five at the university but didnt finish it, i didnt get the bachelors degree as i needed one more year....

the question is... what should i put in the question that asks: What is the highest level of education for which you have earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, or have had an Educational Credential Assessment? (ECAs must be from an approved agency, in the last five years.) If you did not earn a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you may need to have your foreign education assessed by an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. They must show that it is valid, and equal to a completed Canadian credential.

the options are

*None or less than secondary (high School)
*Secondary Diploma (high school graduation)
*one year program at a university, college ,trade or technical school, other institute
*two year program at a university, college ,trade or technical school, other institute
*Bachelors Degree OR Three year program at a university, college ,trade or technical school, other institute

and three more options that i know dont apply to me

help would be much appreciate it, thank you

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salasmike said:
hello everybody, i have been really interested lately on moving to Canada, i was filling the come to Canada wizard, but i have a question that is been bugging me....

i finished high school and did four years out of five at the university but didnt finish it, i didnt get the bachelors degree as i needed one more year....

the question is... what should i put in the question that asks: What is the highest level of education for which you have earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, or have had an Educational Credential Assessment? (ECAs must be from an approved agency, in the last five years.) If you did not earn a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you may need to have your foreign education assessed by an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. They must show that it is valid, and equal to a completed Canadian credential.

the options are

*one year program at a university, college ,trade or technical school, other institute
*two year program at a university, college ,trade or technical school, other institute
*Bachelors Degree OR Three year program at a university, college ,trade or technical school, other institute

Hi, welcome to the forum. Reading your description of your academic studies, I would say you cannot be awarded any points for your education as you have not completed your Bachelors Degree.

You can try to send your transcripts to WES (ECA accredited organization) and see what they say but I doubt they would award you with a 'completed Canadian Educational Equivalency' to input into your Express Entry profile. You may be awarded points for 'High School Education' but that's just a guess from me as I have only seen people on this forum be awarded points for Bachelors, Masters or PHD.

The website is as follows: https://www.wes.org/ca/

Good luck.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salasmike said:

the options are

If you are not awarded a final diploma or degree then you get no points for education

Vianditya

Oct 10, 2017

the options are

Any updates on this?

Vianditya

Oct 10, 2017
as replied above, no points for incomplete education
He/she still can get an assessment and probably would have 1 year diploma(or high school graduate) equivalent ..which is 5 point at the least. You need to have ECA anyway to apply EE.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
He/she still can get an assessment and probably would have 1 year diploma(or high school graduate) equivalent ..which is 5 point at the least. You need to have ECA anyway to apply EE.
1 year diploma have a certificate. Wes needs a photocopy of your diploma. you can try and get it assessed but I saw from the lnk you posted on the other thread you're checking the WES USA website

canada_dreamer

Apr 10, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your best bet is to finish the remainder of your studies, get a degree and then apply. Other option would be to go to Canada as an international student and transfer the credits you have already completed, get a Canadian degree and then EE will be much easier for you. As it stands now, you likely will not have enough points w/o a degree.

chemistesa

Star Member
Feb 10, 2017
I have a bachelor of science degree and 5 years of professional experience. I started to study master of engineering degree at one of the UK universities two years ago. It is an integrated master degree including all bachelor degree courses and additional graduate level courses and a master project. At the end of this academic year, I will be satisfying the minimum requirement of the bachelor pass degree. However, I do not want to quit but to complete the program with MEng degree. Unfortunately, there is no degree awarded at that stage unless I quit the program. Students who wish to continue to study further to get master of engineering degree do not get a BEng degree certificate. All I can get from the university will be a letter stating that if I quit today I will be awarded a Bachelor of Engineering pass degree.

The question is, will that be enough for me to get ''two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees'' from WES evaluation? Can anybody with similar experience help me understand the case?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a bachelor of science degree and 5 years of professional experience. I started to study master of engineering degree at one of the UK universities two years ago. It is an integrated master degree including all bachelor degree courses and additional graduate level courses and a master project. At the end of this academic year, I will be satisfying the minimum requirement of the bachelor pass degree. However, I do not want to quit but to complete the program with MEng degree. Unfortunately, there is no degree awarded at that stage unless I quit the program. Students who wish to continue to study further to get master of engineering degree do not get a BEng degree certificate. All I can get from the university will be a letter stating that if I quit today I will be awarded a Bachelor of Engineering pass degree.

The question is, will that be enough for me to get ''two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees'' from WES evaluation? Can anybody with similar experience help me understand the case?

Thanks
The degree needs to be awarded to be recognized. I don't think WES will recognize it.

Kriestyn

Feb 3, 2018
Hello! Is anybody have an idea about assessment for just equivalency no points are needed, Here is my situation, I want to apply for caregiver new pathway and I need atleast 1 year Canadian post secondary, my problem is I don’t have any certificate or diploma because I didn’t finished the whole program. I only have 2 1/2 years out of 4. Please somebody can share their ideas..thank you

mannyk

Aug 16, 2018
Hi,
I have a similar situation. How did this work out for you?

the options are